1) Write the following as an algebraic expression using x as the variable: Twelve less than six times a number A. 6x – 12 [(Six times a number means 6x, and twelve less mean -12)] B. –6x C. –12(6x) D. 12 – 6x
2) Write the following as an algebraic expression using x as the variable: The sum of a number and -8 A. -8 + x [(let x be the variable number, therefore sum of variable (x) and (-8) would be x-8 or -8 + x)] B. -8 - x C. x(-8) D. -8x
3) Write the following as an algebraic expression using x as the variable: Triple a number subtracted from the number A. x - 3x [(let x be the unknown number, and triple that number would be 3x. Triple a number (3x) has to be subtracted from the number, which is x,…show more content… A. On the X-axis B. On the Y-axis C. Time is not plotted D. Either axis
18) Why are unequal class intervals sometimes used in a frequency distribution? A. To avoid a large number of empty classes B. To create variety in presenting the data C. To avoid the need for midpoints D. To make the class frequencies smaller
19) What is the slope of the line: 2y + 8x = 26 A. -4 B. 8 C. 1/4 D. 2
20) What is the slope of the line: 36x – 9y = 15 A. 4 B. 36 C. 3 D. -5/3
21) What is the slope of the line: 3x – y = 6 A. 3 B. 2 C. -1 D. ½
22) Which statement is true of a regression line that is superimposed on the scatter plot? A. It is computed using the Ordinary Least Squares method. B. It guarantees the largest possible sample variance. C. It is computed using the maximum and minimum values. D. It guarantees that the slope and intercept are minimized.
23) Which of the following is observed in a scatter plot when there is an inverse relationship between x and y? A. Points create a horizontal line. B. Points are mostly in the lower left and upper right quadrants. C. Points curve up as it moves to the right. D. Points slope down as it moves to the right.
24) The number of hours spent studying appears to be highly correlated with the grade students earn in a class. Which variable would be the dependent