Reading Aloud : Children 's Brain Development

1469 Words Dec 11th, 2015 6 Pages
“Reading Aloud to Children” What if I told you that by reading aloud to your child, you could enhance their listening skills, emotional state, and vocabulary knowledge? At a young age, a child’s brain is like a sponge, with ability to absorb almost anything you teach them. In her book Reading Magic, Mem Fox says, “Recent brain research has revealed that the early years of life are more critical to a child’s brain development than we ever realized. Children’s brains are only 25 percent developed at birth. From that moment, whenever a baby is fed, cuddled, played with, talked to, sung to, or read to, the other 75 percent of its brain begins to develop.” (13) When a child is read to, they learn a variety of important things such as; ideas and thoughts, colors and numbers, as well as awareness and empathy. These such things they learn though reading, will not only aide them now but in their future education as well. Reading to children should be incorporated in their everyday life, because of the critical matters they learn at one of the biggest growing stages of their life. There are many arguments against reading to children, saying it is unessential at young age. One of those opposing arguments is that children should be allowed to play. The belief is that reading and learning will become more important than letting the child roam and explore on his or her own, to discover new things. In turn that means play time becomes minimal and is instead replaced with…
Open Document