Secondhand Smoke Kills : Should Smoking Be Banned?

1798 Words8 Pages
Secondhand smoke kills: Should smoking be banned in public? Cigarettes have caused harm to society and the economy for the past twenty years. They’re not causing a harm to just the people who proceed to use them, but to those who are around it as well. Cigarettes have copious effects on active smokers, and even have tremendous long-term effects on nonsmokers. The entryway that causes effects for active smokers is called ‘mainstream smoke’ and what causes effects for nonsmokers is called ‘secondhand smoke’. Second hand smoke is just as harmful as smoking and leads to a higher prevalence of cancer and heart disease, causing it to be very dangerous for anybody around a smoker. Second hand smoke, or better known as SHS, is the hazardous…show more content…
A well-known chemical is ‘Carbon Monoxide.’ Carbon Monoxide is an extremely hazardous chemical when inhaled. It supersedes oxygen in the blood, and it takes away oxygen from the heart, brain, and other vital organs. Copious amounts of carbon monoxide can and WILL overpower anybody within minutes without them even knowing it-causing people to lose consciousness and even suffocate. That being said, cigarettes contain about over 4,000 chemicals including 43 known carcinogenic (cancer-causing) compounds and 400 other toxins. Carbon Monoxide isn’t the only one, Cigarette ingredients include chemicals known as: nicotine, tar, formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, arsenic, DDT, and carbon monoxide. Active smokers inhale about 35% of the chemicals, leaving 65% being inhaled by others. Which causes them to inhale carbon monoxide and other toxins, leaving them to be moribund with absolutely no choice. Secondhand smoke doesn’t affect specific people, it can affect anyone. Anybody can inhale SHS: adults, children, adolescents, pets, and even infants. Secondhand smoke is a risk to anybody and everybody, even the smokers themselves. Research has proven that SHS is the cause for tens of thousands of deaths every year for a nonsmoker. Some death rate statistics have shown that there has been 3,400 lung cancer related deaths, and an estimated 46,000 heart disease deaths. They are now proving that this could be another major cause for breast
Open Document