Should Human Cloning Be Banned?

602 Words2 Pages
Physicians and scientists joined the chorus of “Thou Shalt Not Clone Humans!”(Pence 1). Since the creation of Dolly, there has been a long debate about the correct practice of biotechnology and inspiring the expectable imaginations of the public (MacKinnon 3). In the end, we always come back to one specific debate. Should human cloning be banned? Cloning is immoral and we would see clones as products for our use or as “test tube babies”. The definition of a clone is an individual grown from a single body cell of its parent and having the same gene as its parent (Berube 282). ? Human cloning should be banned whether it is reproductive cloning or therapeutic cloning According to the Economist, attempting to clone a human would certainly end in disaster. The clones would be at high risk for stillbirths or sudden deaths. In animal cloning, for example, every one hundred eggs are used for cloning. Usually only one resulting clone is considered a success (Woodward 25). If you think about only 1% of the eggs are successfully cloned, while the other 99% die. Then there is the fact that if there was a successful clone, studies show that the clone would be plagued with problems and not live the healthiest life (Genetic). This would be immoral since we would be destroying 99% of the eggs, and the 1% that does live would be forced to go through many medical concerns. Also, therapeutic cloning goes against the most fundamental medical ethics, that no human life should be exploited or

More about Should Human Cloning Be Banned?

Open Document