Sleep : Rapid Eye Movement

1243 Words Mar 2nd, 2015 5 Pages
Sleep
Jordan Maestas
Mrs. Wallace
English 12-5th
Sleep
Sleep is vital for survival and is just as important to sustain life as food and water. Humans would not be able to survive without sleep. Without sleep our bodies would not get the rest needed for the necessary development and restoration. Sleep is a period of time when there is full or fractional unconsciousness and there is limited movement in our muscles. During sleep our brain and bodies get the rest that is crucial in order to perform every day functions. There are two types of sleep: Rapid eye movement (REM) and non-rapid eye movement (NREM). During rapid eye movement sleep our “brain is active and dreams occur, provide energy to our brain and body, supports daytime performance, eyes dart back and forth, and body becomes immobile and relaxed, as muscles are turned off.” (“What Happens When You Sleep?”). Rapid eye movement usually occurs between 3-7 in the morning. Basically even though our brain remains active our body is still getting the needed rest. During non-rapid eye movement sleep “hormones are released, energy is restored, and tissue growth and repair occurs.” It is also our “deepest and most restorative sleep.” (“What Happens When You Sleep?). Between the two states of sleep, 75% is spent in non-rapid eye movement sleep and the remaining 25% is spent in rapid eye movement sleep. Have you ever thought about the things that affect your sleep patterns? Simple things such as leaving the lights on,…
Open Document