Solving Cases with Forensic DNA Analysis

975 Words4 Pages
Forensic DNA analysis is still a relatively new method that has been used to solve cases such as crimes and paternity tests. This method of forensic evaluation is examined by using genetic material, DNA, an acronym for deoxyribonucleic acid. Although each individual’s DNA differs from someone else’s, with the exception of identical twins, around 99.9% of DNA is the same in each person ("The FBI DNA Laboratory"). Therefore, in order to identify the genetic profile of the individual being analyzed, scientists focus on the remaining 0.1% of DNA that differentiates one person from another ("The FBI DNA Laboratory"). History of Forensic DNA Analysis: DNA fingerprinting was introduced around 1986 to identify an alleged suspect in a rape-murder case (Panneerchelvam and Norazmi 22). Since then, using forensic DNA analysis has become more prevalent and has helped to exonerate many innocent suspects involved in such cases. Despite being used in only one percent of criminal cases, DNA tests have helped to acquit over 25 percent of wrongfully accused suspects ("Can DNA Demand a Verdict?"/Baird, Neufeld, and Scheck, 34). As of 2008, over 120 countries use some sort of forensic DNA analysis in cases like these ("INTERPOL Global DNA Profiling"). Usage: In order to analyze DNA, scientists require a sample of the individual being tested, such as blood, semen, or hair, before they can create a genetic profile of the person (Petricevic 1). Scientists can then analyze those samples using a
Open Document