preview

Standardization In Today's Society

Decent Essays
Aldous Huxley noticed problems in his society. Today, people face some of those problems: standardization, the need for a “perfect” society, and how people rank others on class. These are problems that are all still around today.
The issue of standardization began when Henry Ford created the factory line. Since, standardization can be seen everywhere. In present time, students in Indiana will take the ISTEP. ISTEP stands for “Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress”, (Office) this is a standardized test that students are required to pass. Companies such as Coca-Cola use standardization, Coca-Cola uses “relatively standard brands, formulations, packaging, positioning and distribution in its global markets,” to standardize their
…show more content…
Ford attempted to make this perfect society named “Fordlandia”, a city he failed running; he gave everyone too high paychecks, tried to survive the land off of business, and acted as a poor leader. People can understand why he tried to succeed in making this perfect place, “but some of Ford’s social ideas were highly sinister – most notoriously his anti-semitism (Reed).” Ford was a known racist. Present day, we have Donald Trump attempting to make a perfect society. His slogan supports this idea: Make America Great Again. On the day he was elected, he said that “today, we created an America that WINS again. Today, we made our hopes, our dreams – our limitless potential – a reality. (Donald)” Donald Trump is planning on making America a perfect society. Even regular people nowadays believe they have the key to Utopia. Rabbi Kalman Packouz Special Correspondent, an article writer, wrote an article titled “Here is my list of 10 Rules for Perfecting Humanity”, this small blog writer thinks that he or she knows how to make society perfect (Packouz). Another figure in Huxley’s time period who tried to create the “perfect society” was Adolf Hitler; he first took office in 1919 and rose to Dictator. Hitler believed a perfect society was everyone having blonde hair and blue eyes, no jews allowed, and under his control. He believed in total domination, he said, “those who want to live, let them fight, and those who…show more content…
Social and economic classes are everywhere. People are ranking others simply off of what they are. In Huxley’s time we had ‘The New Woman’, which was a woman with more power. While all the men were at war, “the employment of women rose, as well as the levels of education (Kempner).” Women were starting to get to prove their own. This existed within economic classes, people in the Klu Klux Klan had “appealed more than ever to mainstream, middle class Americans (Tomyn).” Racism was a common occurrence to see. In our time, we still have gender inequality and racial profiling. In 2015, “women working full time in the United States typically were paid just 80 percent of what men were paid,” leaving a wage gap of 20 percent (Miller). Society pays men more than women. But there is also racial profiling, police “target people of color for humiliating and often frightening detentions, interrogations, and searches without evidence (Profiling).” No matter who someone is, judgement still exists within
Get Access