Chapter 13, Power and Politics – Learning Objectives
1. Define power and contrast leadership and power.
2. Contrast the five bases of power.
3. Explain the role of dependence in power relationships.
4. Identify nine power or influence tactics and their contingencies.
5. Show the connection between sexual harassment and the abuse of power.
6. Identify the causes and consequences of political behavior.
7. Apply impression management techniques.
8. Determine whether a political action is ethical.
Chapter 13, Power and Politics – Section Outlines
I. Power is the capacity that A has to influence the behavior of B, so that B acts in accordance with A’s wishes.
A. Definition of power the ability to influence the behavior of others.…show more content…
2. Reassure employees they will not encounter retaliation if they file a complaint.
3. Investigate every complaint, and inform the legal and human resource departments.
4. Make sure offenders are disciplined or terminated.
5. Set up in-house seminars to raise employee awareness of sexual harassment issues.
V. Politics: Power in Action
A. Definition of Organizational Politics
1. Political behavior, in organization, consists of activities that are not required as part of an individual’s formal role but that influence, or attempt to influence, the distribution of advantages and disadvantages within the organization.
a. Legitimate political power
b. Illegitimate political power
VI. Causes and Consequences of Political Behavior
A. Factors contributing to political behavior
1. Individual factors
2. Organizational factors
B. How do people respond to organizational politics?
1. Decreased job satisfaction
2. Increased anxiety and stress
3. Increased turnover
4. Reduced performance
VII. Impression management
VIII. The Ethics of Behaving Politically
Chapter 13, Power and Politics – Key Terms
• Power- A capacity that A has to influence the behavior of B so that B acts in accordance with A’s wishes.
• Dependence - B ’s relationship to A when A possesses something that B requires.
• Coercive Power – A power base that is dependent on