benefits and limitations. A review of the literature indicated that no academic exercise has been undertaken to assess the full potential of simulation tools either in the design and manufacture of airframes or any other industrial sector. Therefore, it is vital to assess the role of simulation tools throughout the product life cycle and define the best use of these tools within selected areas. There are a number of US companies that are leading the way forward through full corporate investment, time and collaboration partnership (simulation vendors) in developing simulation as an integral element in their company. These companies have planned in detail their approach to simulation to allow them to gain the full benefits simulation can provide:
• Allow identification of design errors earlier in the product…show more content… • The use of simulation capabilities in the ‘right-first-time’ approach has become an important tool in product and process design and development.
• Simulation is used for tooling design and development and runs concurrently with product design in the right-first-time approach , which reduces lead times to shop floor activities.
• When simulation is adopted there is also a requirement for some thought to the way they are used within the business process.
• The interaction process between simulation types has to be appropriate and highly efficient to ensure that the benefits of simulation integration are not lost through isolated activities.
• Even though data transfer techniques have advanced significantly, internal business system configurations need to be developed to allow for these transfer techniques to be used efficiently.
• Product data management must ensure that all participants involved in product and process design work from the same data source for process coherency and prevent none value-added