The Chilean Healthcare System

2143 WordsDec 11, 20149 Pages
Introduction The healthcare systems throughout the world differ exponentially. Some countries have nationalized healthcare, such as the United Kingdom, others have a mixed system (the United States) and still others depend more on privatized healthcare. It is necessary to compare systems throughout nations in order to see if there may be any applicability to the U.S. system. These methods could greatly improve the delivery of healthcare in the U.S. if they are truly feasible and would create a better model for the country. The countries that are being explored are Chile, Colombia, Ghana, Italy, Japan, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Taiwan, and the United Kingdom. Chile Chile has an estimate population of 17,465,000; their maternal…show more content…
A lack of resources available to the public system makes competitive care difficult and costly (Becerril-Montekio & Reyes, 2011). About 75% of the population is enrolled in FONASA and the remaining 25% in ISAPREs (Becerril-Montekio & Reyes, 2011). The FONASA is funded by the public through a tax of 8% of employee income. FONASA covers dependents, pregnant women up to six months after birth, pension receipients due to invalidity and old age, and those with mental disabilities. ISAPREs on the other hand does not receive any subsidiaries from the Treasure. It operates in a free competitiaon system and clients can choose where they receive care (Missoni & Solimano, 2010). Private insurance also provides faster access to care, as well as a higher quality of care. Those living in remote areas suffer the largest health disparities, since access to care is reduced due to lack of transportation and poor infrastructure. Colombia Colombia has an estimate population of 47,704,000; their maternal mortality rate is 83 deaths out of 100,000 live births, and infant mortality is 18 deaths out of 1,000 live births (World Health Organization, 2014). The Colombian healthcare system is solely government run and funded; it consists of two programs: contributive and subsidized (Vargas-Zea, Castro, Rodriguez-Paez, Tellez, & Salazar-Aria, 2012). The government spends $723 per capita and 6.8% of its GDP on health
Open Document