Cystic fibrosis is an genetic disease that can cause bad damage to the lungs and other organs in the body. It is a common genetic (Gene) disease affecting to geriatric, (adults) young adults, or and kids. Now they’re still searching for a cure, but the only thing that is currently available is a donor’s lungs.
Cystic fibrosis is an existence restricting autosomal recessive disorder that influences 70,000 people around the world. The condition is known to affect principally those of European descent, though cystic fibrosis has been accounted for in all races and ethnicities.  Unusually viscous emissions in the airway of the lungs and in ducts of the pancreas in people with cystic fibrosis cause hindrances that prompt aggravation, tissue harm and destruction of both organ systems. Studies show that Cystic Fibrosis is more prominent in White Americans than African Americans, and Hispanics. A large number of Americans are carriers of this mutated Cystic Fibrosis gene, however if an individual is affected they must acquire two of these genes keeping
Cystic fibrosis (CF) is a lethal autosomal recessive disorder with a clinical incidence of 1 in every 3500 newborns1. Currently, over 4000 Canadians have CF, with 60% being adults2. In the past, CF was considered a fatal disease with a life expectancy of less than two years, however, advances in enzymatic and antibiotic therapy have greatly improved the life expectancy of patients afflicted with CF3. Currently, the median age of Canadian CF patients is 50 years2.
Cystic Fibrosis is a life threatening condition that causes severe damage to the lungs and digestive system. Developing this condition can change a person's entire life. Depending on the severity of the condition a person can be affected by mild symptoms such as shortness of breath, all the way to severe symptoms such as rectal prolapse, or even death. Screening is done on infants in all 50 states; therefore if a child has inherited Cystic Fibrosis it will be known in the first months of life. As professional staff members of a nursing community it will be necessary to help prepare the child and the family for the life of Cystic Fibrosis.
Cystic Fibrosis, also known as CF, is one of the most common life-threatening genetic disorders found in people. Discovered in 1938 by Dr. Dorothy Hansine Andersen, Cystic Fibrosis severely affects two parts of the human body, including the respiratory system and the digestive system. Cystic Fibrosis causes the mucus glands to secrete very thick and sticky mucus. This mucus then clogs the tiny air passages and traps bacteria in the lungs. The thick mucus also stops the release of digestive enzymes in the pancreas from reaching the small intestine. According to Cystic Fibrosis Queensland (2015) more than one million Australians carry the Cystic Fibrosis Gene, with one in every 25 people, often not realising they are carrying the deadly gene.
Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disease which is progressive and limits breathing ability. The lungs and other organs are affected by a thick buildup of mucus. This mucus traps bacteria which leads lung damage, infections, and respiratory failure. The digestive enzymes being released is prevented, affecting the breakdown of food and nutrients being absorbed. ?More than 30,000 children and adults in the United States have Cystic Fibrosis. 70,000 people worldwide.? (Diagnosed With Cystic Fibrosis, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation) Someone who has Cystic Fibrosis have a defective gene from each parent which produces faulty protein. The CFTR gene is the gene that is mutated causing this. The channel that transports chloride in and out of cells is created by instructions that are created by CFTR gene. The regulation of chloride ions and water are prevented creating the thick mucus formed on the passageways of lungs, pancreas, and other organs. Cystic Fibrosis doesn?t cause learning problems are mobility of the person. Babies with this still develop and grow up normally. The average life expectancy is close to 40 years, and has been increasing in the last fifty years thanks to improved care. ?Chronic coughing, recurring chest colds, wheezing, shortness of breath, frequent sinus infections, and allergies that last all year, are the most common symptoms of Cystic Fibrosis.? (Cystic Fibrosis Symptoms) Since this disease is progressive
Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disease that is programmed in the victim’s DNA. It is passed on from parents who are both carriers of the defective gene. This genetic disorder affects the respiratory and digestive systems. People who suffer from cystic fibrosis usually inherit a defective gene on chromosome 7 called CFTR (cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator). Below is a diagram showing how cystic fibrosis is passed on from carrier parents to a child. The diagram shows that when a child is born by two parents who are both carriers of the CFTR defective gene, there is a one in four chance of being born with cystic fibrosis, there is a 2 in 4 chance of being a carrier or a 1 in
The genetic disease that I am writing about is called Cystic Fibrosis. Cystic Fibrosis is a genetically transmitted disease that is caused by a defective gene that makes the body produce abnormally thick and sticky mucus, impacting your lungs, pancreas, liver, intestines, sinuses, sex organs and sweat glands. Cystic Fibrosis makes this mucus can clog up your lungs and pancreas making it difficult to breath and serious digestive issues. This amount of thick mucus in the lungs can cause repeated lung infections or even permanent lung damage. The disease may also affect the sweat glands and a man's reproductive system. There are a lot of different symptoms of Cystic Fibrosis depending if it is affecting your digestive system or your lungs and
“About 1 in 4,000 children in the United States are born with CF” (Crosta, 2009) and “one in every 3,600 children born in Canada [have] cystic fibrosis” ("Cystic fibrosis Canada," 2011). According to several resources a consensus has formed which proposes that people with northern European ancestry, specifically those that are white, are more likely to be carriers of the disease and thus more at risk of having children with the mutated gene. This risk is even more likely if the other parent of the child is a carrier. Another risk factor for CF is “family history, since the disease is hereditary it increases they likely hood of
More than 1,700 mutations have been identified in this gene. This mutation occurs on chromosome 7, which is inherited two copies of the defective Cystic fibrosis gene from each parent. Both parents must have at least one copy of the defective gene.
The gene that’s responsible for causing Cystic Fibrosis is on chromosome 7. The most common
Cystic Fibrosis (CF) is the most common fatal genetic disease in the United States today. CF is an autosomal recessive disease that occurs approximately one out of 3,300 live births (Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 1998). Autosomal means that the gene for CF is not carried on the sex chromosomes and males and females are both afflicted
Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disorder caused by a mutation in a gene called the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR). The inheritance pattern is autosomal recessive. This means, to have symptoms of CF, you must have two defective CFTR genes, by inheriting a mutant copy of the CFTR gene from both your mother and your father. If you inherit a single defective CFTR gene from either your mother or your father, you are a “carrier” of the disease, but do not show symptoms, since it is a recessive gene. However, you could pass the gene onto your child and they could end up having cystic fibrosis, even if you do not have it. The CFTR gene makes a protein that controls how much salt and water move in and out of the body’s cells.
Cystic fibrosis is a chronic disease that greatly impairs the endocrine, respiratory, digestive, and reproductive systems. Offspring inherit this autosomal recessive disease when both of the biological parents are carriers for the defective CTRS (cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance) gene, located on the 7th chromosome (University of Utah Health Sciences). This incurable disease causes the secretory glands to produce viscous sweat and mucus, harming the individual’s major organs (lungs, pancreas, liver, intestines, sinuses, and sex organs) and causing them to malfunction. For example, the production of thick and sticky mucus clogs the lungs and leads to growth in bacteria, often causing lung infections and breathing difficulties. However,
This is a great improvement over survival rate of the 1950s with the life expectancy of 1 year or less for cystic fibrosis patients. Unfortunately, since it is a recessive genetic disease, there are many men and women who are carriers of the disease without actually having the disease themselves. If each parent is a non-affected carrier of cystic fibrosis, there is only a 25 percent chance of having a non-affected, non-carrier child and 50 percent chance of having a child that is a non-affected carrier of cystic fibrosis. Unfortunately there is also a 25 percent chance of having a child affected by cystic fibrosis. This makes prenatal genetic screening very important.