The Debate Over the Idea of Drilling for Oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge

1480 Words6 Pages
The Debate Over the Idea of Drilling for Oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge Throughout American history, there have been a number of conflicts and disagreements among the populace over various issues. These conflicts of interest help to define political parties and allow people to distinguish themselves through party allegiance. One such item that is currently being debated is over the idea of drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. For years, environmentalist groups and oil industry supporters have been sparring over this stretch of land. And both sides have formed some pretty compelling arguments for their beliefs. As of February 1, 2000, the United States has imported roughly 10.5 million of…show more content…
Geological Survey, they believe there is a 5 percent chance of locating and collecting a probable 16 billion barrels of oil from the Alaskan wilderness. Of that 16 billion, there is an estimated 95 percent chance of locating and collecting at least about 5.7 billion barrels of oil. If the oil-producing process went unhindered, many ANWR drilling supporters believe that the new project would single handedly be able to supply the nation’s oil for a full three years and create upwards of 750,000 new jobs. These beliefs are being stringently refuted by environmentalist groups, however. Ever since the August 2nd vote in the House, which approved of the ANWR project on President Bush’s Energy Bill, environmentalism activists have been in an uproar. As CorpWatch puts it: “As we hurtle into the twenty-first century, oil is still King. But it does not rule benevolently. Rather, the reign of those who control the politics of petroleum continues to undermine democracy while generating human rights violations and environmental disasters across the Earth.” And with that, many associated with the Democratic left, have been contesting the Teamsters’ stated facts. In a New York Times article from September 2nd, the League of Conservation Voters had shown that the alleged 750,000 new jobs that would be created by the ANWR project, were over exaggerated by far. A study done earlier by Dean Baker, co-director of the Center of Economic and Policy
Open Document