The Demands of Contemporary Dance

2152 WordsFeb 19, 20189 Pages
Contemporary dance involves a combination of the controlled legwork and strength of ballet, with the fast contract and release techniques of the torso from modern dance (Scheff et al., 2010). Contemporary dance is an intermittent activity, involving sudden bursts of energy followed by periods of slow, controlled movement (Redding et al., 2009).The physiological demands imposed on contemporary dancers are just as important as the aesthetically pleasing skills and techniques needed for a good performance (Kourtedakis and Jamurtas, 2004) but over recent years, research has shown that dancers have similar VO2max values to healthy sedentary individuals (Angioi et al., 2009). VO2max is also known as maximal oxygen uptake or aerobic fitness and represents the body’s capability to deliver and utilise oxygen (Evans and White, 2009). Paffenbarger et al., (1996) suggests that 40% of an individual’s fitness is genetic, leaving 60% within the individual’s control through physical activity, lifestyle and diet. Generally it is seen that those who take part in regular aerobic training compared to those who do not and are within the same age range, sex and activity, use less energy to complete the same task meaning they can perform for longer periods of time and fatigue or plateau later (Evans and White, 2009). This study aims to highlight if contemporary dancers need to include supplementary aerobic training into their normal dance regimes to gain optimal performance. Having looked over
Open Document