The Effect of Osmosis on Potato Cells

3526 Words15 Pages
Page 1: Homepage Page 2: Contents Page 3: Introduction Pages 4 – 7: Preliminary Experiment Pages 8 - 14: Main Experiment Introduction In this experiment I am going to investigate the effect of varying concentration of a differing glucose solution on the amount of osmotic activity, between the solution and a potato tuber of a given size. The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate how living cells rely on osmosis, the diffusion of water. Osmosis is the movement of water molecules (H20) from a region in which they are highly concentrated to a region in which they are less concentrated. This movement must take place across a partially permeable membrane…show more content…
The potato tuber that was placed in the glucose solution with a concentration of 1m lost even more mass than the 0.5m solution; this was to be expected. The average mass change percentage was -17.28%. This is a good result because the average of 1m is almost double the average of 0.5m, this helps to show that the results are reliable as they follow the pattern they are expected to take. My graph and table were quite conclusive as they seemed to follow extremely closely to the line of best fit; the aero-bars are very close to the average which makes me believe that the experiment was accurate and reliable as the results are all very similar and follow the predicted ‘route’. Conclusion The potato tuber in the distilled water was the only one to gain in mass. This is because the potato became turgid as it soaked up the water molecules, by osmosis. The others decreased in mass. This is because the concentration of the solution was higher than the concentration of glucose inside the potato, this made them contract and shrink; whereas if the concentration of the solution had been lower, they would have expanded. Evaluation Generally, I think my results obtained were fairly accurate. From my preliminary test I have learnt that the three solutions were not enough, so I decided to have 6 solutions instead. This would make the graphs clearer and easier to notice any trends or patterns. During my
Open Document