The Effects Of Type 2 Diabetes ( T2d )

1286 Words Oct 21st, 2014 6 Pages
In an effort to reduce the economic impact of Type 2 Diabetes (T2D) in the United States, as well as to improve the quality of life in patients with T2D, a trillion dollar grant should be distributed amongst five categories with varying monetary allocations as such: 400 billion dollars to prevention and treatment of T2D, 200 billion dollars to the increased social awareness of T2D, 150 billion to the establishment of community health centers in various urban areas, 150 billion to further research on the biological mechanisms underlying insulin resistance in T2D, and the last 100 billion dollars to the development of better in-vitro diagnostic (IVD) monitoring and insulin delivery devices. In 2012, the total estimated cost of diabetes was 245 billion dollars, with 72% of this cost directly due to medical care and the remaining 28% as compensation for reduced productivity in diabetic patients. Patients with diabetes average $13,700 per year in medical care, around 2-3 times higher than the average for patients without diagnosed diabetes. This data emphasizes that diabetes imposes a significant toll on the economy as a whole, not only by putting a dent in healthcare funds through medical bills, but also indirectly from the reduced productivity leading to excused absences in the workplace. Therefore, to lessen the negative impact of T2D on the economy and improve quality and length of a diabetic’s life, correctly distributing this one trillion dollar grant to different…
Open Document