The Great Pacific Garbage Patch Essay examples

1257 Words6 Pages
Everybody throws away trash with little or no thought about where it’s going. What you might not know is that a lot of trash goes into our ocean. You may think it is not a big deal and that it’s just a little bit of trash in a really big ocean, but it’s not just a little bit of trash. In fact, it’s a whole lot. There is a place between California and Hawaii called the North Pacific Subtropical Gyre, but is better known as the “Great Pacific Garbage Patch”. This area is the largest landfill in the world and is completely in the ocean. What are the effects of the landfill on the environment and how can it be prevented and rehabilitated to its original state? The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is an area of the ocean filled with mostly…show more content…
This is a combination of currents and wind that perform a circular vortex motion that collects trash. The vortex motion pulls trash in, while the middle is very calm, so it stays in one place. Most people think of an island filled with trash when they hear the words Garbage Patch. But in reality, these patches are made of small pieces of plastic, called micro plastics that cannot always be seen by the naked eye. The satellite images do not show what we think would be a giant patch of garbage. (National Geographic) “The patch is not an island like most people envision, you can’t walk on it but is more of a plastic soup.” (Moore). According to the website, “¬How Stuff Works”, 90% of this debris is plastic. That is over 3.5 million pounds of plastic. The patch is a gathering place for all the junk dumped in our oceans. Some of the most harmful items, such as expanded Styrofoam, polypropylene, and P.E.T. (polyethylene terephthalate), found in plant fertilizer, has been located in this patch. The plastic is not biodegradable but is photodegradable. In other words, the larger pieces break down into smaller pieces, so the patch just gets bigger every day. Approximately 80 percent of the trash is from the people here on land and the other 20 percent is dumped from ships, fisherman, oil rigs and spilled containers (How stuff works). The trash does not only affect our ocean but it also
Get Access