Essay on The History of the Antiguan Girls High School

884 Words 4 Pages
The history of the AGHS began in 1886, when an English couple- a Mr. and Mrs. Williams, came to Antigua, because of Mr. William's failing health. Mrs. Williams became the school's first headmistress. After her husband died, she sent for her sister and together they shared the responsibility of running the school. At this time the school had boarding facilities for local students, as well as students from neighbouring Caribbean islands such as St. Kitts, Nevis, Montserrat, Dominica and Grenada.

In 1902 Mrs. Williams and Ms. Easie resigned and were succeeded by Ms. Simpson, who served for two years. From 1905 to 1944 Misses Millicent and May Branch served as joint headmistresses.

Because of steadily increasing numbers, the school changed its location several times. It first moved to St. Mary's Street, near the Nook, then East and Radcliff, back to St. Mary's Street and finally to its present location. At that time suitable accommodations became a pressing problem and so the idea of a building fund started. It was also decided that a governing body be created and have complete control of the school. In 1964 the school became government owned.

During the 1960s the school's curricula was rather limited. Subjects such as Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Spanish and Music were excluded from the school's curricula. At the end of Secondary School, many of the young ladies were only able to teach Latin, French, and English. Many passed through without the benefit of a science…

More about Essay on The History of the Antiguan Girls High School