The New Walgreens Boots Alliance

1520 Words7 Pages
The New Walgreens Boots Alliance The first phase of the merger between Walgreens and Alliance Boots began in 2012 when Walgreen Co. bought 45% stake in Boots for $6.7 billion with the option to buy the remaining 55% within 3 years (Walgreens Boots Alliance, 2015). Shareholders approved the 2nd half of the merger on December 28, 2014 (Walgreens Boots Alliance, 2015). Walgreen Co. purchased Alliance Boots remaining stock for $15.3 billion (Walgreens Boots Alliance, 2015). Walgreens Boots Alliance common stock began trading on the Nasdaq stock exchange under the symbol WBA December 31, 2014 (Walgreens Boots Alliance, 2015). Under a reorganization merger agreement approved by Walgreens shareholders, Walgreens became a wholly owned…show more content…
The recent merger has increased Walgreens Boots Alliance’ retail pharmacy network, which now spans throughout the United States, Europe, Latin America and Asia. The merger gives Walgreens Boots Alliance opportunities in many developing and underserved markets throughout the world. The global enterprise integrated the largest drugstore chain in the USA, the market leader in European retail pharmacy and Allithe leading international wholesaler and distributor. Collectively, Walgreens Boots Alliance has a presence in more than 25 countries, over 12,800 stores, 370,000 employees and more than 340 pharmaceutical distribution centers that serve over 180,000 pharmacies (Walgreens Boots Alliance, 2015). Additionally, the merger brings together several unique brands, wholesale, service and product brands, and the world’s largest pharmaceutical wholesale and distribution network. In April 2015, shareholders decided that Walgreens Boots Alliance would be housed in Deerfield, Illinois at Walgreens corporate headquarters. Walgreens Boots Alliance Leadership For proprietary reasons, Walgreens does not provide detailed information on specific topics, such as their corporate strategy, internal systems and corporate structure ((Walgreens Boots Alliance, 2015). At Walgreens Boots Alliance, Shareholders select the Board members to oversee and direct the affairs of the Company in the interests of enhancing the long-term value For Walgreens Boots Alliance. The day-to-day operations
Open Document