The Nexus Between Women 's Land Rights And Food Security Within West African

996 Words Sep 1st, 2015 4 Pages
Introduction
This research is interested in identifying the nexus between women’ land rights and food security within West African states (ECOWAS states). The majority of ECOWAS countries sustain their economies through agriculture. In 2012, agriculture accounted for 35% of the region’s Gross Domestic Product (DGP), contributing $6 billion to its foreign trade and represented 16.1% of products and services exported from ECOWAS region (Salifou 2012). Agriculture also created 60% all jobs in the ECOWAS region in 2012.

Women accounted for 60-80% of the production, processing and marketing of agricultural produce in the region. About 80% of the regional population’s food needs are met by regional produce, with the remaining 20% being met by import (Salifou 2012). Several imperial studies reveal that African women, compared with other regions, are “far more involved in agriculture” (Adekaney, Otitulaiye and Opaluwa 2009). One study in Nigeria showed that men abandoned areas like food crop farming because those sectors are considered as unprofitable (Afolabi 2008). Other studies also revealed that 80% of all staple food consumed in Ondo State of Nigeria in 2005, and 80% of all the staple food produced in Ghana were locally produced and processed by women (Bravo, Seufferhand and Agunbiade 2011).

While women play a substantial role in the production, marketing and distribution of agricultural produce, their access to land, an important means of production, is hindered by…

More about The Nexus Between Women 's Land Rights And Food Security Within West African

Open Document