The Production Of The Sinclair Refinery Site

1801 WordsAug 21, 20158 Pages
1. Site Description and History The Sinclair Refinery Site is a 100-acre refinery, adjacent to the west bank of the Genesee River, and about one-quarter mile south of downtown Wellsville, New York. The refinery was built in the late 1800 's and operated by the Wellsville Refining Company until 1919 when the Sinclair Refining Company (now the Atlantic Richfield Company, or ARCO) purchased the property and operated the refinery until a fire ended the operations in 1958. The refinery was finally closed in 1963. After the closure, a majority of the property was transferred to the Village of Wellsville, which subsequently conveyed land parcels to various entities. Now approximately 6,000 people live within a mile of the landfill; several businesses and the State University of New York at Alfred 's Wellsville Campus are located on the refinery portion of the Sinclair property; and approximately 500 people use the buildings located on this part of the site. Throughout the operation and dismantling of the refinery, various types of wastes including cloth filters, fuller 's earth, oil sludge, contaminated soil, pesticides, heavy metals, and fly ash were generated and disposed of in two on-site landfills adjacent to the Genesee River over a 30-year period. The landfill area of the site consisted of a 9-acre Central Elevated Landfill Area, a 2-acre South Landfill Area, and a 1-acre sand and gravel area between the two landfills. The landfill area was located at the very southern end of

More about The Production Of The Sinclair Refinery Site

Open Document