The United Kingdom

1416 Words Dec 1st, 2014 6 Pages
In the United Kingdom, a census was taken every 10 years starting from 1801. With the exception of 1941 due to the Second World War, the census kept a very good idea of the current population and assisted in predicting futures sizes. Population data for years prior to the census was provided from directories and gazetteers as many churches took number on the size of its inhabitants. Estimated in the 1500s, Scotland had a population of 500,000 persons, and according to the 2011 census, the country has reached an extraordinary 5,295,000 persons. As of 2012, the birth rate was 11 births/1,000 people and a death rate of 10.5 deaths/1,000 people – this suggests that the population growth is rather relaxed since almost as many are born and die and vise-versa.
Being a predominantly white nation, Scotland had 96% white people in 2011, and the rest split amongst minorities to equal the remaining 4% (or 211,000 persons). In 2012, according to Scotland’s government website, the estimated population of Scotland on June 20, 2012 was 5,313,600. The age demographics from the census and other form of registry (social media, schools, insurance, licenses, etc.) display that 17% of people were estimated to be under 16, 66% aged 16-64 and 17% aged 65 and over. In respect to gender, 51% of Scotland 's population was female and 49% was male. This fraction has not changed much since 1947.
Race Percent of Total Population Percent of Minority Ethnic Population (rounded estimate) Base This total…
Open Document