Practice Final Exam – Chapters 16-23, 25, 26, 28, 30-32
1) Three equal point charges are placed at three of the corners of a square of side d as shown above. Which of the arrows shown represents the direction of the net electric field at the vacant corner of the square?
2) The potential energy at x = 8 m is -2000 V and at x = 2 m is +400 V. What is the magnitude and direction of the electric field?
A) 200 V/m directed parallel to the +x-axis
B) 300 V/m directed parallel to the +x-axis
C) 400 V/m directed parallel to the +x-axis
D) 500 V/m directed parallel to the +x-axis
3) Four resistors of values 2 Ω, 4 Ω, 3 Ω, and 9 Ω are connected across a DC source with voltage V as shown in above. If the total current through…show more content… B) the law of conservation of charge.
C) the law of conservation of energy.
D) the law of conservation of angular momentum.
17) If the magnification of a mirror is negative, which of the following is correct?
A) The image is upright and the mirror is convex.
B) The image is inverted and the mirror is convex.
C) The image is inverted and the mirror is concave.
D) All of the previous answers can be correct.
18) If the wavelength of light in Young's two-slit experiment is decreased, which one of the following statements is true of the interference pattern?
A) The distance between the minima stays the same.
B) The distance between the maxima decreases.
C) The distance between maxima stays the same.
D) The distance between the maxima increases.
19) Which one of the following is the correct electronic configuration for carbon?
Hint: Carbon has 6 protons
A) 1s2 2s2 2p2
B) 1s1 2p1
C) 1s1 2s2 2p3
D) 1s2 2s1 2p3
20) A β- decay occurs in an unstable nucleus when
A) a proton is converted to an electron by the strong force.
B) a proton is converted to a neutron by the strong force.
C) a neutron is converted to a proton by the weak force.
D) a neutron is converted to an alpha particle by the weak force.
21) When a gas expands adiabatically,
A) the internal energy of the gas decreases.
B) the internal energy of the gas increases.
C) there is no work done by the gas.
D) work is done on the gas.