TOURISM PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES
2015 Exam Structure
Section A: Multiple Choice Questions (15 marks) – answer all questions (worth 1 mark each).
Section B: Short Answer Questions (25 marks) - select and answer five questions (worth 5 marks each).
2015 Revision Questions
Students should use the following questions to guide their study of the course material. Staff will not discuss these questions with students. The questions are based on lectures, weekly readings and tutorial questions.
What is tourism? Why are there so many definitions of tourism?
Discuss the evolution of tourism studies. What is the historical sequence of tourism platforms of research?
Explain the relevance of…show more content… 16. What are the five stages of the destination selection process?
17. What are the potential positive and negative economic benefits of tourism for host communities?
18. In what ways can origin governments gain direct revenue from tourism?
19. Explain the effect of leakage on a tourism destination.
20. What is the multiplier effect with respect to tourism? Explain the key features of the tourism multiplier effect, giving examples.
21. In what ways can tourism contribute to the conservation of natural resources?
22. What is the environmental impact sequence? What are the environmental stressors resulting from tourism development? 23. What is ecotourism? How does ecotourism differ from nature-based tourism? Is ecotourism necessarily sustainable tourism?
24. Discuss, with examples, three potential sociocultural benefits of tourism.
25. In what ways can tourism contribute to the conservation of cultural resources?
26. Identify and describe five of the factors that contribute to the increased likelihood of sociocultural costs from tourism development.
27. Describe the following sociocultural impacts of tourism and give an example of each: (a) commodification, (b) acculturation, (c) the demonstration effect.
28. Draw Butler’s model of the tourist destination life cycle. Briefly describe each of the stages of this model. In what ways is Butler’s sequence a useful analysis tool for tourism managers?
29. Identify and describe the four