Toxic Mold Essay

537 Words3 Pages
The subject of black mold gathered a lot of attention in the late 1990’s. Up to that time, little attention had been given to this topic and there were few government regulations regarding black mold. According to the US EPA from their on-line course (http://www.epa.gov/mold/moldcourse/index.html), molds are organisms that may be found indoors and outdoors. They are part of the natural environment and play an important role in the environment by breaking down and digesting organic material, such as dead leaves. Also called fungi or mildew, molds are neither plants nor animals; they are part of the kingdom Fungi. Evidence of mold in the home can be either visual or by odor, and evidence of an indoor mold problem typically starts with…show more content…
These factors include the degree or size of the mold colonies growing within a residence, where they are located, and factors such as whether a person is allergic to any particular type of mold. The more extensive the mold colony is, the higher the dose to which you or a member of your family is exposed. Where one person may have a severe reaction to a particular type of mold, another person may have little or no reaction. Black mold has received the greater concern as some studies have revealed more severe health effects when exposed to black mold. The most effective response to mold is to first remove the source of moisture. Any water leaks, such as roof or plumbing, should be repaired as soon as possible. In some cases, fans are needed to help dry the affected areas. Once these areas are dry, mold spores can be cleaned using a bleach mixture or other cleaning compounds containing biocides specific to addressing mold contamination. It is important to remember that personal protection should be used when cleaning mold contamination to prevent breathing in or ingesting mold spores. It is also important to note that any recurrence of water intrusion into a home or building will likely result in return of the mold. If there is a repeated or even a single exposure to mold, this may cause even non-sensitive people to become sensitive to mold. Allergic
Open Document