Understand own responsibilities, and responsibilities of others, relting to health and safety in the work setting.
1. Identify legislation relating to general health and safety in a health or social care work setting.
The European Parliament issues Directives on all legislation, including Health & Safety. 1989 saw six Health & Safety Directives issued. They had to be applied as law by each of the Member countries. By authority given to the Secretary of Sate these Directives became Regulations enforceable from January 1st 1993. The Health & Safety at Work etc Act is the ʺparentʺ of all UK Health & Safety legislation.
THE HEALTH & SAFETY AT WORK ACT (HSWA) 1974
This Act covers all people at work,…show more content…
Over two million suffer illnesses caused by, or made worse by, their work.
Section 2 of the HSW Act deals with employersʹ duties, and states: ʺIt shall be the duty of all employers to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health safety and welfare of all their employees whilst they are at work.ʺ
To achieve this employersʹ need to:
• Provide and maintain safe plant and equipment
• Ensure safe use, handling storage and transportation of any articles substances and materials used during the course of their work
• Ensure the health and safety of their employees by providing adequate information, instruction, training and supervision as required
• Provide and maintain a safe working environment by the use of safe systems of work
• Provide adequate welfare facilities such as toilets, first aid facilities and changing rooms, along with safe maintained access and egress
What is considered to be ʹadequate information, instruction and trainingʹ will, of course, be dependent on the age and competency of the employees; for new processes or young/inexperienced employees, the supervision will need to be on a far more frequent basis than for established working procedures.
The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 states:
‘provide clear information, supervision and training for employees and ensure that suitably competent people are