University Medical Center At Dallas

914 WordsNov 8, 20154 Pages
The Early Years (1909-1990s) Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas was established as Texas Baptist Memorial Sanitarium. Chartered on Oct. 16, 1903, by the State of Texas, the hospital began in a 14-room renovated house. In 1900, there were 3 contributors who founded Baylor and one of them was who are Charles M. Rosser, M.D., founder of the Baylor College of Medicine, who saw the need for "a hospital of great importance" for a growing city like Dallas, and which would support the medical school. The second founder was Rev. George W. Truett, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Dallas, convinced Dallas citizens "to build a great humanitarian hospital," and thirdly, Colonel C.C. Slaughter, a devout Baptist and wealthy cattleman, gives a major gift of $50,000 to establish the hospital. There were many contributors who helped raise funds for the hospital and one of them was The Baptist General Convention of Texas. Another discovery was that of Texas Baptist Memorial Sanitarium in 1909 which moved into a new 250-bed facility and opened as the Southwest 's most modern hospital. The Baylor University School of Nursing began around the same time and this was due to a generous donation from Col. C.C. Slaughter, and one of his last ones before he died in 1919. It is estimated that he contributed to more than $200,000. In 1921 Texas Baptist Memorial Sanitarium becomes Baylor Hospital to reflect its relationship with Baylor University in Waco, Texas. The hospital, located in
Open Document