Water Supply In Ethiopia

731 Words3 Pages
municipal objectives that fall outside the market mechanism, one being the general need for public uses of water, such as fire fighting or recreation in low-income areas and another being to sustain beautiful cities through lawn watering. The economic theories that advocate pure market approaches to the evaluation of desirable services seems too limited, as do those that propose no market disciplines at all in the process. Reconciliation between the two views of rate setting is in progress through the political process in individual communities. So far there has been little federal and state government influence in the rate- setting process for water supply ,and this trend is expected to continue except for the interest in water supply,…show more content…
2.2.2 Urban Population and Water Supply in Ethiopia
- In Ethiopia 83.9 percent of the total population was found in rural areas, while the remaining 16.1 percent lived in urban areas. Yet regional data indicate that more than half of the population in Dire Dawa (67.5%) and Harari (50.5%) were urban residents. In addition, the proportions of urban residents in Tigray (19.5%) and Gambella (25.2%) regions are relatively larger than the proportion within the total national population (CSA, 2008).
However, summary and Statistical Report of the 2007 Population and Housing Census of Ethiopia does not show the inter-censual growth rate by place of residence. The inter-censual growth rate by place of residence would have shown urbanization and urban population increase in the three census years (1984, 1994, and 2007).
According to WSDP (2002) in 2001 urban water coverage of Ethiopia is 74.4%, and population served reaches 9,886,000.The water coverage ranges from 25% in Harar to 96% in Amhara region. However there are discrepancies among different documents regarding urban water coverage. For instance WSDP (2002) in Assefa (2006) indicated the urban water coverage of

More about Water Supply In Ethiopia

Get Access