Why Are Stars Mistaken For Stars

724 Words3 Pages
Also known as the ¨Stellar nurseries¨ - i.e. The place where stars are born. And for many centuries, distant galaxies were often mistaken for these massive clouds. Approximately 99% of the ISM is composed of gas, while about 75% of its mass takes the form of hydrogen and the remaining 25% as helium. The interstellar gas consists partly of neutral atoms and molecules, as well as charged particles (aka plasma), such as iron and electrons. The gas is extremely dilute, with an average density of about 1 atom per cubic centimeter. In contrast, Earth's atmosphere has the density of approximately 30 quintillion molecules per cubic centimeter (3.0 x 10¹⁹ per cm³) at sea level. Red SuperGiant ( www.space.com ) A red supergiant is an aging giant…show more content…
Can you believe that? The life cycle of an average star, or any star for that matter, is such an exciting and mysterious thing – it can’t help but invoke curiosity and wonder. Generally, a star of our Sun’s size will fuse hydrogen for around 8 to 10 billion years, putting out light and heat. An average star’s surface temperature can range between 4,760 (2,900 Kelvin) and 12,140 (7,000 Kelvin) degrees Fahrenheit, hot! Planetary Nebula ( www.space.com ) Over 10,000 of these short-lived objects were made to live in the Milky Way. It´s called the ¨Planetary Nebula¨ because it looks like a planet through the telescope. It´s formed of the evolution of a sun-like star. Soon to become a Red Giant. Nuclear fusion will explode and the Planetary Nebula will become and Red Giant again. Massive Star ( www.space.com ) Any star larger than 8 solar masses in it’s regular main sequence lifetime is known as a Massive Star. Nebulae, a cloud of dust is how Massive Stars are born. Of the star is 8 times more than the sun it is considered to be a Massive Star. SuperNova ( www.space.com ) Catastrophic explosion that ejects most of its mass is the reason the star suddenly increases greatly in brightness. The changes in the core of the star is when a Supernova is formed. A change that happens in two ways, both equal a Supernova. Black Hole ( www.space.com ) Nothing can escape from a Black Hole. Not even light.
Open Document