Why Monitor and Evaluate Citizen Engagement?
Monitoring and evaluating citizen engagement is important for a number of interrelated reasons. It can help:
• Improve program implementation and management.
• Verify and strengthen accountability structures.
• Serve as a mechanism of quality control and help keep the program within the scope of a project or decision statement.
• Ensure that money and resources are being used appropriately and efficiently.
• Determine whether the engagement program is adhering to, and meeting the intentions of, citizen engagement objectives and values, as well as relevant laws, rules, and mandates.
• Ensure that engagement programs have fair and appropriate representation and that participants understand how…show more content… 3. Monitoring and evaluation citizen engagement is important for a number of audiences, but each of these audiences may desire and value different criteria and information.
4. Monitoring and evaluation can be a daunting task. The technical issues involved can be intimidating, as can be the idea of assessing one’s peers, colleagues, and own professional work.
5. Time, money, personnel, and other valuable resources are often in short supply, making the tasks of the monitor(s) and evaluator(s) even more challenging .
What is Evaluation?
Evaluation is the systematic application of social science research procedures for assessing the conceptualization, design, implementation, operation, and/or outcomes of project or program. Simply stated, it is the process of collecting, analyzing, and using information to understand how a program is operating and/or the outcomes and impacts it is having. Developing an evaluation protocol requires working through the five basic steps summarized in Box One.
What are Some Common Evaluation Designs?
Four of the most common evaluation designs are described below, along with some of their potential benefits and drawbacks.
1. Case Study Designs describe the goals, objectives, start-up procedures, implementation processes, and outcomes of one or more citizen engagement programs.
Benefits: Case studies provide detailed