Why Polytechnic Students Take Up Part Time Jobs

2010 WordsAug 19, 20089 Pages
Executive Summary The main aim of this report is to present the various reasons why polytechnic students take up part-time jobs and develop an analysis. Data for the report was obtained through a survey with 15 questions and given to 60 respondents. From the survey findings, it was discovered that a large percentage of polytechnic students are taking up part-time jobs. Reasons for taking up part time jobs are to earn extra income, daily allowances and for experience. Despite having lessons during weekdays, some of the polytechnic students still work during weekdays. But still, majority of the respondents work on Fridays and weekends. Most of the respondents enjoy working and feel that taking up part-time jobs will benefit them in the…show more content…
This can be reflected by the survey results itself. Of the 60 respondents, 83% (50 respondents) of them take up part-time jobs currently. There are many reasons as to why polytechnic students take up part-time jobs. Among all the others, the main reason is to earn extra income for their daily lifestyle activities. This reason is chosen by 42% (25 respondents) of the respondents. Other reasons are for daily allowance (18%), experience (20%) and for productive use of time (18%). Polytechnic students have no uniforms when attending lessons unlike secondary schools and junior colleges. The students will then have to spend money on clothes and apparels. This can be the main reason why polytechnic students need to have extra income more than students from secondary school and junior colleges. Also, survey also shows that more than half (52%) of the respondents are not receiving monthly allowance from their parents. With no monthly allowance, it is a must for them to work for money to cover their expenses. As for the rest (48%) of the respondents who are still receiving allowance from their parents, 69% (20 respondents) of them receive $101 - $200.This amount is insufficient for polytechnic students therefore they need to work for extra income which constitutes such a huge percentage of the reasons on why they take up part-time
Open Document