Yoho National Park - Research
• Yoho national park is located in Field, British Columbia.
• It is situated in the Rocky Mountains, specifically in the Canadian Rockies, which is a mountain range located in British Columbia and Alberta.
• It was established in 1885 as Canada’s 2nd protected area.
• Banff national park is located in the eastern part of it and Kootenay national park is located in the southern part of it.
• Yoho national park was designated as a part of the United Nations World Heritage Site in 1984.
• It consists of steep mountains and is sculpted by glaciers from the ice age.
• Animals like Grizzly Bear, Cougar, Elk, and Moose are some of the animals that are found in Yoho National Park.
• Lynx…show more content… • The west side receives more rainfall than the east side due to orographic precipitation.
• Precipitation increases as the elevation increases.
• Average annual rainfall is 314 mm.
• Average annual snowfall is 332 mm.
• Located between the Prairie and Boreal regions of Canada.
• Main air masses that influence the regional climate are the continental air mass from Yukon and Alaska, and Maritimes air mass from the Pacific.
• Hot and dry weather in summer and fall.
• The 2 major vegetation groups of Yoho are: Upland Forest and Fluvial Forest.
• Upland Forest o Moist Montane
Vegetation Type: Western hemlock, White Spruce-Douglas, Fir Douglas, Fir western yew. o Intermediate Montane
Balsam Poplar, Douglas fir white spruce. o Dry Montane
White birch aspen, Lodgepole pine-balsam poplar. o Montane Sub-alpine
Lodge-pole pine, Spruce lodge-pole pine o Low-mid Subalpine
Engelmann spruce-subalpine fir o High Subalpine
Whitebark pine, Subalpine larch
• Fluvial Forest
Vegetation Type: White spruce Douglas fir-lodgepole pine on old alluvial fans, White spruce-western red cedar on damp alluvial fan, white spruce on permanently water-logged soil, aspen-balsam poplar on moist alluvium
• 3 ecoregions defined on the basis of vegetation in this park are: Montane, subalpine, and alpine ecoregions.
• An ecoregion is a large area