taking a Look at Wastewater Treatement

2271 Words9 Pages
Wastewater Treatment It is hard to imagine that the planet earth could possibly be experiencing an epic crisis of water deficiency. The earth is made up of 75 percent water. Why, if water is in such abundance, is it such a precious commodity? Some countries have begun to ration water, while others act as if there is an endless supply. The numbers are very deceiving, simply because the water that is in such short supply is fresh water, which is crucial for all aspects of life. According to Wright and Boorse (2005) "About 97.5% of all water is the saltwater of the oceans and seas. The remaining 2.5 percent is freshwater-water with salt content of less than 0.1 percent. This is the water on which most terrestrial biota, ecosystems, and humans depend. Of the 2.5 percent, though, two-thirds is bound up in the polar ice caps and glaciers. Thus, only 0.77 percent of all water is found in lakes, wetlands, rivers, groundwater, biota, soil, and the atmosphere. On a global level the largest amount of water is used for irrigation, nearly 70 percent, while industry uses 20 percent and actual human use is 10 percent.” (page 240) Healthy aquatic ecosystems are essential providers of food and several other important bi-products necessary for life. The world currently faces a water crisis, both of amount and purity, caused by a surge in world population, food production practices, living standards, and industrialization. Improvements in wastewater management have had a vital impact on the

More about taking a Look at Wastewater Treatement

Get Access