The atmosphere is a highly complex gaseous mixture that sustains life on Earth. Approximately 99% of the air is composed of nitrogen (N2) and oxygen (O2). The remaining 1% is made up of a variety of other gases, including carbon monoxide (CO), hydrogen (H2), and ammonia (NH3), among many others. Because most of the gases that comprise the atmosphere are present at very low levels (<0.002%), their quantities are often expressed in parts per million (ppm) or parts per billion (ppb) rather than as a percent.Ozone (O3) is found in the troposphere at 2.5×10−6%. Convert this value to parts per million.[O3]= _______ ppm The atmosphere contains 2.9×10−7%2.9×10−7% nitrogen dioxide (NO2). Convert this value to parts per billion.[NO2]= _______ ppb Atmospheric methane (CH4) is present at 1983 ppb. Convert this value to a percentage.[CH4]= _______ %

Question
Asked Dec 5, 2019
12 views

The atmosphere is a highly complex gaseous mixture that sustains life on Earth. Approximately 99% of the air is composed of nitrogen (N2) and oxygen (O2). The remaining 1% is made up of a variety of other gases, including carbon monoxide (CO), hydrogen (H2), and ammonia (NH3), among many others. Because most of the gases that comprise the atmosphere are present at very low levels (<0.002%), their quantities are often expressed in parts per million (ppm) or parts per billion (ppb) rather than as a percent.

Ozone (O3) is found in the troposphere at 2.5×10−6%. Convert this value to parts per million.

[O3]= _______ ppm
 
The atmosphere contains 2.9×10−7%2.9×10−7% nitrogen dioxide (NO2). Convert this value to parts per billion.
[NO2]= _______ ppb
 
Atmospheric methane (CH4) is present at 1983 ppb. Convert this value to a percentage.
[CH4]= _______ %
check_circle

Expert Answer

Step 1

Percentage of O3 molecules in the troposphere = 2.5 x 10-6 %

Step 2

To convert this into ppm

help_outline

Image Transcriptionclose

1%=10,000ppm therefore, O, concentration= 2.5 ×106% O, concentration in ppm = 2.5x10x10,000ppm = 2.5x10 ppm

fullscreen
Step 3

[O3] = 2.5 x 10-2 ppm

...

Want to see the full answer?

See Solution

Check out a sample Q&A here.

Want to see this answer and more?

Solutions are written by subject experts who are available 24/7. Questions are typically answered within 1 hour.*

See Solution
*Response times may vary by subject and question.
Tagged in

Science

Chemistry

Related Chemistry Q&A

Find answers to questions asked by student like you
Show more Q&A
add
question_answer

Q: how do i do this

A: Given information:Mass of KCl produced = 57.9 g

question_answer

Q: Label each statement as True or False CH3CH2- is the conjugate base of CH3CH2+

A: If a base receives one proton, then the formed species is a conjugate acid whereas an acid lose one ...

question_answer

Q: The autoionization constant of ethanol at 25 degrees celsius is Kai=1.6X10^-19. What does this tell ...

A: Auto ionization is the self ionization of a molecule into its constituent ions.

question_answer

Q: Given the standard enthalpies of formation for the following substances, determine the change in the...

A: The given reaction is,

question_answer

Q: PET studies require fluorine-18, which is produced in a cyclotron and decays with a half-life of 1.8...

A: The decay process has an exponential decay, which in this case means that every 1.83 hours, half the...

question_answer

Q: Kavh Search... ge.com/coursehimicourseld 154322748HeplD-2b3e48e6520860bf d5591538a4a5a27b#10001 ripA...

A: Any diatomic gas contains 22.4L of volume at STP.

question_answer

Q: Be sure to answer all parts. At 25 ° C, the standard enthalpy of formation of HF(aq) is −319.9 kJ/mo...

A: The standard enthalpy neutralization of hydrogen fluoride , ΔH is calculated as,

question_answer

Q: What mass of carbon dioxide is produced from the complete combustion of 2.40×10−3 g of methane?

A: The formula for the mass of carbon dioxide as follows:

question_answer

Q: Determine the mole fractions and partial pressures of CO2, CH4, and He in a sample of gas that conta...

A: The relationship between mole fraction and partial pressure is given by,