BuyFindarrow_forward

Introductory Chemistry: A Foundati...

9th Edition
Steven S. Zumdahl + 1 other
ISBN: 9781337399425

Solutions

Chapter
Section
BuyFindarrow_forward

Introductory Chemistry: A Foundati...

9th Edition
Steven S. Zumdahl + 1 other
ISBN: 9781337399425
Textbook Problem
482 views

Your text describes the probability map for an s orbital using an analogy to the earth’s atmosphere. Explain this analogy.

Interpretation Introduction

Interpretation:

The analogy of earth’s atmosphere that describes the probability map for an s orbital should be described.

Concept Introduction:

The lowest possible energy level in an atom is 1s orbital. According to the wave mechanical model, the probability of finding the electron decreases when the distance from the nucleus increases. But it never becomes zero. So the edge of an orbital is not smooth and an orbital does not have a definite size. Therefore, scientists describe the size of the s orbital as a sphere with 90% probability of finding the electron within the surface. That means, there’s a 10% probability of finding the electron outside this surface.

Explanation

The earth’s atmosphere analogy is useful to describe the lack of a sharp boundary of an orbital. In between the earth’s atmospher...

Still sussing out bartleby?

Check out a sample textbook solution.

See a sample solution

The Solution to Your Study Problems

Bartleby provides explanations to thousands of textbook problems written by our experts, many with advanced degrees!

Get Started

Chapter 11 Solutions

Show all chapter solutions add
Ch-11 P-6ALQCh-11 P-7ALQCh-11 P-8ALQCh-11 P-9ALQCh-11 P-10ALQCh-11 P-11ALQCh-11 P-12ALQCh-11 P-13ALQCh-11 P-14ALQCh-11 P-15ALQCh-11 P-16ALQCh-11 P-17ALQCh-11 P-18ALQCh-11 P-19ALQCh-11 P-20ALQCh-11 P-21ALQCh-11 P-1QAPCh-11 P-2QAPCh-11 P-3QAPCh-11 P-4QAPCh-11 P-5QAPCh-11 P-6QAPCh-11 P-7QAPCh-11 P-8QAPCh-11 P-9QAPCh-11 P-10QAPCh-11 P-11QAPCh-11 P-12QAPCh-11 P-13QAPCh-11 P-14QAPCh-11 P-15QAPCh-11 P-16QAPCh-11 P-17QAPCh-11 P-18QAPCh-11 P-19QAPCh-11 P-20QAPCh-11 P-21QAPCh-11 P-22QAPCh-11 P-23QAPCh-11 P-24QAPCh-11 P-25QAPCh-11 P-26QAPCh-11 P-27QAPCh-11 P-28QAPCh-11 P-29QAPCh-11 P-30QAPCh-11 P-31QAPCh-11 P-32QAPCh-11 P-33QAPCh-11 P-34QAPCh-11 P-35QAPCh-11 P-36QAPCh-11 P-37QAPCh-11 P-38QAPCh-11 P-39QAPCh-11 P-40QAPCh-11 P-41QAPCh-11 P-42QAPCh-11 P-43QAPCh-11 P-44QAPCh-11 P-45QAPCh-11 P-46QAPCh-11 P-47QAPCh-11 P-48QAPCh-11 P-49QAPCh-11 P-50QAPCh-11 P-51QAPCh-11 P-52QAPCh-11 P-53QAPCh-11 P-54QAPCh-11 P-55QAPCh-11 P-56QAPCh-11 P-57QAPCh-11 P-58QAPCh-11 P-59QAPCh-11 P-60QAPCh-11 P-61QAPCh-11 P-62QAPCh-11 P-63QAPCh-11 P-64QAPCh-11 P-65QAPCh-11 P-66QAPCh-11 P-67QAPCh-11 P-68QAPCh-11 P-69QAPCh-11 P-70QAPCh-11 P-71QAPCh-11 P-72QAPCh-11 P-73QAPCh-11 P-74QAPCh-11 P-75QAPCh-11 P-76QAPCh-11 P-77QAPCh-11 P-78QAPCh-11 P-79QAPCh-11 P-80QAPCh-11 P-81QAPCh-11 P-82QAPCh-11 P-83APCh-11 P-84APCh-11 P-85APCh-11 P-86APCh-11 P-87APCh-11 P-88APCh-11 P-89APCh-11 P-90APCh-11 P-91APCh-11 P-92APCh-11 P-93APCh-11 P-94APCh-11 P-95APCh-11 P-96APCh-11 P-97APCh-11 P-98APCh-11 P-99APCh-11 P-100APCh-11 P-101APCh-11 P-102APCh-11 P-103APCh-11 P-104APCh-11 P-105APCh-11 P-106APCh-11 P-107APCh-11 P-108APCh-11 P-109APCh-11 P-110APCh-11 P-111APCh-11 P-112APCh-11 P-113APCh-11 P-114APCh-11 P-115APCh-11 P-116APCh-11 P-117APCh-11 P-118APCh-11 P-119CPCh-11 P-120CPCh-11 P-121CPCh-11 P-122CPCh-11 P-123CPCh-11 P-124CPCh-11 P-125CPCh-11 P-126CP

Additional Science Solutions

Find more solutions based on key concepts

Show solutions add

Vitamin K is necessary for the synthesis of key bone proteins. T F

Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies - Standalone book (MindTap Course List)

Suppose you pour hot coffee for your guests, and one of them wants it with cream. He wants the coffee to be as ...

Physics for Scientists and Engineers, Technology Update (No access codes included)