close solutoin list

INVESTMENT TIMING OPTION The Bush Oil Company is deciding whether to drill for oil on a tract of land that the company owns. The company estimates that the project will cost $8 million today. Bush estimates that once drilled, the oil will generate positive cash flows of $4 million a year at the end of each of the next 4 years. Although the company is fairly confident about its cash flow forecast, it recognizes that if it waits 2 years, it will have more information about the local geology as well as the price of oil. Bush estimates that if it waits 2 years, the project will cost $9 million, and cash flows will continue for 4 years after the initial investment is made. Moreover, if it waits 2 years, there is a 90% chance that the cash flow's will be $2.2 million a year for 4 years, and there is a 10% chance that the cash flows will be $2.2 million a year for 4 years. Assume that all cash flows are discounted at 10%. a. If the company chooses to drill today, what is the project’s expected net present value? b. Would it make sense to wait 2 years before deciding whether to drill? Explain. c. What is the value of the investment timing option? d. What disadvantages might arise from delaying a project such as this drilling project?

BuyFind

Fundamentals of Financial Manageme...

14th Edition
Eugene F. Brigham + 1 other
Publisher: Cengage Learning
ISBN: 9781285867977
BuyFind

Fundamentals of Financial Manageme...

14th Edition
Eugene F. Brigham + 1 other
Publisher: Cengage Learning
ISBN: 9781285867977

Solutions

Chapter
Section
Chapter 13, Problem 6P
Textbook Problem

INVESTMENT TIMING OPTION The Bush Oil Company is deciding whether to drill for oil on a tract of land that the company owns. The company estimates that the project will cost $8 million today. Bush estimates that once drilled, the oil will generate positive cash flows of $4 million a year at the end of each of the next 4 years. Although the company is fairly confident about its cash flow forecast, it recognizes that if it waits 2 years, it will have more information about the local geology as well as the price of oil. Bush estimates that if it waits 2 years, the project will cost $9 million, and cash flows will continue for 4 years after the initial investment is made. Moreover, if it waits 2 years, there is a 90% chance that the cash flow's will be $2.2 million a year for 4 years, and there is a 10% chance that the cash flows will be $2.2 million a year for 4 years. Assume that all cash flows are discounted at 10%.

  1. a. If the company chooses to drill today, what is the project’s expected net present value?
  2. b. Would it make sense to wait 2 years before deciding whether to drill? Explain.
  3. c. What is the value of the investment timing option?
  4. d. What disadvantages might arise from delaying a project such as this drilling project?

Expert Solution

Want to see this answer and more?

Experts are waiting 24/7 to provide step-by-step solutions in as fast as 30 minutes!*

See Solution

*Response times vary by subject and question complexity. Median response time is 34 minutes and may be longer for new subjects.

Additional Business Textbook Solutions

Find more solutions based on key concepts
Show solutions
WACC AND COST OF COMMON EQUITY Kahn Inc. has a target capital structure of 60% common equity and 40% debt to fu...

Fundamentals of Financial Management, Concise Edition (with Thomson ONE - Business School Edition, 1 term (6 months) Printed Access Card) (MindTap Course List)

How are inflation and unemployment related in the short run?

Brief Principles of Macroeconomics (MindTap Course List)