close solutoin list

INVESTMENT TIMING OPTION The Engler Oil Company is deciding whether to drill for oil on a tract of land that the company owns. The company estimates that the project will cost $9 million today. Engler estimates that once drilled, the oil will generate positive cash flows of $43 million a year at the end of each of the next 4 years. Although the company is fairly confident about its cash flow forecast, it recognizes that if it waits 2 years, it will have more information about the local geology as well as the price of oil. Engler estimates that if it waits 2 years, the project will cost $12 million, and cash flows will continue for 4 years after the initial investment is made. Moreover, if it waits 2 years, there is a 95% chance that the cash flows will be $4.4 million a year for 4 years, and there is a 5% chance that the cash flows will be $2.4 million a year for 4 years. Assume that all cash flows are discounted at 11%. a. If the company chooses to drill today, what is the project’s expected net present value? b. Would it make sense to wait 2 years before deciding whether to drill? Explain. c. C. What is the value of the investment timing option? d. What disadvantages might arise from delaying a project such as this drilling project?

BuyFind

Fundamentals of Financial Manageme...

15th Edition
Eugene F. Brigham + 1 other
Publisher: Cengage Learning
ISBN: 9781337395250
BuyFind

Fundamentals of Financial Manageme...

15th Edition
Eugene F. Brigham + 1 other
Publisher: Cengage Learning
ISBN: 9781337395250

Solutions

Chapter
Section
Chapter 13, Problem 6P
Textbook Problem

INVESTMENT TIMING OPTION The Engler Oil Company is deciding whether to drill for oil on a tract of land that the company owns. The company estimates that the project will cost $9 million today. Engler estimates that once drilled, the oil will generate positive cash flows of $43 million a year at the end of each of the next 4 years. Although the company is fairly confident about its cash flow forecast, it recognizes that if it waits 2 years, it will have more information about the local geology as well as the price of oil. Engler estimates that if it waits 2 years, the project will cost $12 million, and cash flows will continue for 4 years after the initial investment is made. Moreover, if it waits 2 years, there is a 95% chance that the cash flows will be $4.4 million a year for 4 years, and there is a 5% chance that the cash flows will be $2.4 million a year for 4 years. Assume that all cash flows are discounted at 11%.

  1. a. If the company chooses to drill today, what is the project’s expected net present value?
  2. b. Would it make sense to wait 2 years before deciding whether to drill? Explain.
  3. c. C. What is the value of the investment timing option?
  4. d. What disadvantages might arise from delaying a project such as this drilling project?

Expert Solution

Want to see this answer and more?

Experts are waiting 24/7 to provide step-by-step solutions in as fast as 30 minutes!*

See Solution

*Response times vary by subject and question complexity. Median response time is 34 minutes and may be longer for new subjects.

Additional Business Textbook Solutions

Find more solutions based on key concepts
Show solutions
Describe the major steps in the managerial decision-making process.

Foundations of Business (MindTap Course List)

List the steps in the closing procedure in the correct order.

College Accounting (Book Only): A Career Approach

Suppose the population of Area Y is relatively young, and the population of Area O is relatively old, but every...

Fundamentals of Financial Management, Concise Edition (with Thomson ONE - Business School Edition, 1 term (6 months) Printed Access Card) (MindTap Course List)