Open Database Connectivity (ODBC):
- Open database connectivity is an Application Programming Interface (API) used to access the Database Management System (DBMS).
- It has the ability of accessing the relational data sources using Structured Query Language (SQL) on any application platform.
Data Source Name (DSN):
- The data source name is used for describing the data source.
- It is used to describe the structure of the current data source.
- It includes attributes like
- Name of the data source
- Location of the data source
- ID and password related to data access
- Information about the database driver
- It includes four different types namely, Machine DSNs, File DSNs, System DSNs and User DSNs.