Interpretation: It should be written the equation for a nuclear reaction by which nitrogen-18 can achieve stability.
- Unstable nuclei emit radiation spontaneously to become stable nuclei by losing energy. This process of emission of radiation by unstable nuclei is known as radioactive decay.
- These emitted radiations may be alpha radiations(
), beta radiations(
) or gamma radiations(
- These unstable nuclei are the nuclei with more than 83 protons and which do not lie within the belt of stability.
- The neutron proton ratio (
) of an atomic nucleus is the ratio of its number of neutrons to its number of protons and is important to predict the nuclear stability.
- For a stable nucleus
ratio is one and which lies in the belt of stability of graph of number of protons to number neutrons.
- When an isotope is above the belt of stability,
ratio is high and there exists a beta emission to decrease the stability.
To write: The equation for a nuclear reaction by which nitrogen-18 can achieve stability.