BuyFindarrow_forward

Human Heredity: Principles and Iss...

11th Edition
Michael Cummings
Publisher: Cengage Learning
ISBN: 9781305251052

Solutions

Chapter
Section
BuyFindarrow_forward

Human Heredity: Principles and Iss...

11th Edition
Michael Cummings
Publisher: Cengage Learning
ISBN: 9781305251052
Chapter 5, Problem 16QP
Textbook Problem
11 views

Why are monozygotic twins who are reared apart so useful in the calculation of heritability?

Summary Introduction

To determine: The reason for the usefulness of reared apart monozygotic twins in the calculation of heritability.

Introduction: Monozygotic twins are known as identical twins. These are formed when a single egg is fertilized by a single sperm, which gets separated into two embryos during the early stages of development. These twins have the same genotype, same gender, and also carry the same genetic markers.

Explanation of Solution

When the proportion of the phenotypic variation is caused by different genotypes, it is known as the heritability of a trait. Heritability measures the amount that a phenotype that is strictly caused by the genes and there is no effect of environmental factors. For example: if the heritability of a trait is 0.7, it means that 70% of the phenotype is explained by the genotype of the individual and the rest 30% is due to the environment.

Monozygotic twins have 100% of genetic relatedness. So, when they are reared apart, they face different environmental conditions...

Still sussing out bartleby?

Check out a sample textbook solution.

See a sample solution

The Solution to Your Study Problems

Bartleby provides explanations to thousands of textbook problems written by our experts, many with advanced degrees!

Get Started

Chapter 5 Solutions

Human Heredity: Principles and Issues (MindTap Course List)
Show all chapter solutions
add

Additional Science Textbook Solutions

Find more solutions based on key concepts
Show solutions add
Unlike mass, weight is not a(n) ___ property. (1.4)

An Introduction to Physical Science

Earth did not rotate, could you define the celestial poles and celestial equator?

Horizons: Exploring the Universe (MindTap Course List)

The eating pattern that best provides nutrients- singles out a rich source for each nutrient and focuses on the...

Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies - Standalone book (MindTap Course List)

What is a major difference between prokaryotic and eukaryotic organisms?

Biology: The Dynamic Science (MindTap Course List)

Two objects are at rest on a frictionless surface. Object 1 has a greater mass than object 2. (i) When a consta...

Physics for Scientists and Engineers, Technology Update (No access codes included)

Whats the relationship between crust and lithosphere? Between lithosphere and asthenosphere?

Oceanography: An Invitation To Marine Science, Loose-leaf Versin