BuyFindarrow_forward

Human Heredity: Principles and Iss...

11th Edition
Michael Cummings
Publisher: Cengage Learning
ISBN: 9781305251052

Solutions

Chapter
Section
BuyFindarrow_forward

Human Heredity: Principles and Iss...

11th Edition
Michael Cummings
Publisher: Cengage Learning
ISBN: 9781305251052
Chapter 5, Problem 21QP
Textbook Problem
324 views

What is the importance of the comparison of traits between adopted and natural children in determining heritability?

Summary Introduction

To determine: The importance of comparison of traits between adopted and natural children in determining heritability.

Introduction: Heritability is the proportion by which genes explain a trait. A heritability value of 1 means that the trait is explained 100% by the genes and 0% by the environment whereas a heritability value of 0.7 means that the trait is explained 70% by the genes and the rest 30% by the environment.

Explanation of Solution

The research that involves comparison of traits between adopted and natural children is important in identifying heritability. It is because adopted children would have dissimilar genes as compared to natural kids, but both would have a similar environment. Thus, it could help in studying heritability by observing the effects of varying genes...

Still sussing out bartleby?

Check out a sample textbook solution.

See a sample solution

The Solution to Your Study Problems

Bartleby provides explanations to thousands of textbook problems written by our experts, many with advanced degrees!

Get Started

Chapter 5 Solutions

Human Heredity: Principles and Issues (MindTap Course List)
Show all chapter solutions
add

Additional Science Textbook Solutions

Find more solutions based on key concepts
Show solutions add
Nutrition does not seem to play a role in the causation of osteoarthritis. T F

Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies - Standalone book (MindTap Course List)

Australopiths are__________ a. extinct b. placental mammals c. hominoids d. all of the above

Biology: The Unity and Diversity of Life (MindTap Course List)

Why is the following situation impossible? A freight train is lumbering along at a constant speed of 16.0 m/s. ...

Physics for Scientists and Engineers, Technology Update (No access codes included)

How does thermohaline circulation force the thermocline toward the oceans surface?

Oceanography: An Invitation To Marine Science, Loose-leaf Versin