This text is geared towards a one semester course in applied calculus.
This extremely readable, highly regarded, and widely adopted text presents innovative ways for applying calculus to real-world situations in the business, economics, life science, and social science disciplines. The texts' straightforward, engaging approach fosters the growth of both the student's mathematical maturity and his/her appreciation for the usefulness of mathematics. The authors' tried and true formula--pairing substantial amounts of graphical analysis and informal geometric proofs with an abundance of hands-on exercises--has proven to be tremendously successful with both students and instructors.
- Exercise sets:
- Carefully designed, building in level of difficulty so that instructors can chose those exercises appropriate for their students.
- Thoroughly tested and very diverse.
- Technology exercises offered at the ends of each section.
- Applications: Contain up-to-date and realistic data to illustrate to students the relevance of these concepts.
- Examples: Contains many more worked examples than is customary, many of which include real data.
- Practice Problems: Each section concludes with ~5 problems that focus on concepts that are potentially confusion. Complete solutions are provided.
- "Warnings!" which provide tips on common pitfalls and mistakes appear at relevant times.
- Extensive TI Calculator help: Easy-to-understand instructions for using calculators are provided in 4 appendices