Calcium

Page 1 of 50 - About 500 essays
  • Calcium Metabolism and Calcium Homeostasis Essays

    1416 Words  | 6 Pages

    Calcium regulation has significant effects on the human body's capacity to maintain homeostasis. Around 99% of the body's calcium is found within the skeleton in the form of calcium salts. The remaining 1% is found in blood and controlled within a very narrow range by an elaborate system of controls to provide for fundamental processes (Marieb & Hoehn 2010). Calcium is the most abundant cation found in human bodies, vital to normal function of a host of processes including: nerve excitability,

  • Calcium Homeostasis Essay

    1074 Words  | 5 Pages

    “Calcium Homeostasis” Kayla Smith Anatomy and Physiology I BSC 1085C Ref# 82458 Calcium plays a very significant role in our bodies. Approximately 99 percent of the calcium in our bodies is stored in the teeth and bones. Calcium generates about two percent of our total body weight. Calcium is crucial in bone formation, keeping strong bones and teeth and is known for helping to prevent osteoporosis. Although calcium is mostly thought about in the bones and teeth, it also plays important roles

  • Calcium Research Paper

    398 Words  | 2 Pages

    Hi I’m Calcium I have 20 protons, 20 electrons, and 20 neutrons. My atomic number is 20 and my atomic mass number is 40. My number of electrons in energy level is 20 and my energy level number is 20. Also the period number I belong in for the periodic table is 4. The discovery name is Humphry Davy and he was the one that made me. The year that I was discovered was 1808 and the country they decided to discover me was in England. My element symbol is Ca. The representative groups and family I

  • The Effect Of Calcium Supplements On A Bone With Osteoporosis

    938 Words  | 4 Pages

    will be testing which calcium supplement works best to increase density in a bone with osteoporosis. In order to perform this experiment, this scientist will first be deteriorating the bones in vinegar so they are much like a bone with osteoporosis. Then this scientist will be recalcifyng the bones by soaking them in water and calcium supplements. Finally comparing the density of each bone before and after the calcium supplements, this scientist will determine which calcium supplement worked best

  • Advantages And Disadvantages Of Calcium Phosphate Tablets

    1327 Words  | 6 Pages

    Calcium- Phosphate Ceramics (CPC) Calcium phosphate ceramics are a type of ceramics with varying calcium-to-phosphate ratio, the important properties of calcium phosphate biomaterials are their bioresorption and bioactivity. The most widely used calcium phosphate based bioceramics are hydroxyapatite (HAP) and β-tricalcium phosphate (β-TCP). Synthetic Hydroxyapatite (HA) is a calcium phosphate whose stoichiometric formula corresponds to Ca10(PO4)6(OH)2 with calcium-to-phosphate ratio is 1.67, it

  • Determination of Calcium Ions in Milk Using Titration

    1299 Words  | 6 Pages

    Determination of Calcium ions in milk using titration. Background Calcium is a mineral which is essential to the human body. In fact 1.5% of the human body is made up of calcium, and not just the obvious uses such as bone and teeth formation but it is also a vital factor in many enzyme reactions, for example blood clotting. It also partakes in the regulation of the hearts rhythm. Lack of the crucial mineral can result in the build up of cadmium and lead, both of which are toxic. along

  • Calcium: Helping Our Nerves Function Essay

    631 Words  | 3 Pages

    Calcium is primary found in bones and teeth (99%). However, the other 1% is directly related to proper nerve functioning. Increased calcium results in nerve damage caused by nerve inflammation (Yasko 20). As such, the proper balance of calcium, sodium, potassium, and magnesium ions maintains muscle tone and controls nerve irritability. If the calcium levels remain unusually high, in rare cases, “skeletal and membrane damage can also occur” (Ibid.). Deficiency: Scarce amounts of calcium in a

  • Getting Enough Calcium through Food Essay example

    544 Words  | 3 Pages

    metabolism relies on minerals such as calcium to function properly. Calcium is not produced in the body directly. Any food eaten is the sole source calcium, which makes up nearly 1.5% of a person’s total body weight. However, despite traditional understanding, calcium is not just found in dairy-related products. A variety of foods also provide calcium to the benefit of the body. Both sources of calcium are detailed below. Without a doubt, the best food sources of calcium include dairy products. Specifically

  • Calcium and Potassium modifications are specialized individual according to a specific disease, age

    600 Words  | 3 Pages

    Calcium and Potassium modifications are specialized individual according to a specific disease, age and inadequate amounts of calcium or potassium higher or lower than normal value. Calcium modifications are the results of to low or to high calcium levels. When calcium levels are to low compromises in bone integrity will occur. Adults 50 years of age and older are encouraged to increase calcium intake to help prevent osteoporosis. Patients with thyroid dysfunctions may experience low hormone levels

  • Calcium Supplements Are Important For The Maintenance Of Strong Bones And Teeth

    2129 Words  | 9 Pages

    Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the body and is crucial for the maintenance of strong bones and teeth. You need calcium not only to maintain a healthy bone density, but also to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Calcium can come from food sources, such as milk, low-fat yogurt, and sardines, or from dietary supplements found at your local pharmacy. Does this mean that it would be okay to stop buying those calcium rich gallons of milk, put down the low-fat yogurt, and stock up on calcium supplements

Previous
Page12345678950