New Heritage Doll Company: Capital Budgeting

3226 Words13 Pages
New Heritage Doll Company: Capital Budgeting

In mid-September of 2010/ Emily Harris, vice president of New Heritage Doll Company's production division, was weighing project proposals for the company's upcoming capital budgeting meetings in October. Two proposals stood out based on their potential to strengthen the division's innovative product lines and drive future growth. However, due to constraints on financial and managerial resources, Harris knew it was possible that the firm's capital budgeting committee would decline to approve both projects. She also knew that New Heritage's licensing and retail divisions would promote compelling projects of their own. Consequently, Harris had to be prepared to recommend one of her projects over
…show more content…
.# ф. ~
New Heritage's Production Division
Production was New Heritage's largest division as measured by total assets, and easily its most asset-intensive. Approximately 75% of the division's sales were made to the company's retailing division, with the remaining 25% comprising private label goods manufactured for other firms. Table 1 summarizes the division's various sources of revenue and operating income.
Table 1
|New Heritage|Private Label|Total|
Production Division Data:|Dolls|Accessories|Dolls|Accessories||
Revenue (S millions)|80|14|26|5|$125|
Operating Income (S millions)|4.4|0.5|2.3|0.3|S 7.5|
New Heritage's dolls and accessories were offered under distinct brands with different price points, targeting girls between the ages of 3 and 12 years. The company's baby dolls were generally priced from $15-$30, and were offered to younger girls in earlier stages of development. These dolls typically came with a "birth certificate" and a short personal history. Dolls in the higher-end of this category incorporated technology that produced a limited amount of speech and motion. For the
S75-S150 price range, New Heritage produced a line of heirloom-quality dolls and accessories. These were designed to appeal to older girls and to convey a sense of cultural and family tradition among grandmothers, mothers, and daughters. The heirloom dolls had more elaborate accessories and personal histories. Finally, the company offered a line of high-end dolls
Get Access