Title: Of Mice and Men
1. Significance of Title: The title, “Of Mice and Men” comes from a phrase in the poem To a Mouse On Turning up in Her Nest with the Plough by Robert Burns. The second to last stanza contains the line, “the best schemes o’ Mice an’ Men/ Gang aft agley” contains the phrase John Steinbeck based the title for the novel. The poem is similar to the book in that George, Lennie, and the mouse all have a goal that involves months of dedicated work. However, the plough and sudden death of Curley’s wife both bring a sudden end to their dreams. Both disasters were unprecedented, but caused by the fact that George, Lennie, and the Mouse were torn apart by their weaknesses.
2. Genre: Of Mice and Men is a novella; or a long, short-story, that is a prose, fictional narrative.
3. Date of Publication: Of Mice and Men was published in 1937.
4. Author: John Steinbeck wrote Of Mice and Men.
5. Setting: Of Mice and Men takes place in the 1930’s during the Great Depression in the Los Gatos Ranch and Pacific Grove of Northern California.
6. Importance of the Setting: The time period John Steinbeck wrote the novel reflects the lifestyle of the nomadic man looking for work during the Great Depression. This choice of timeframe shows the hardships and the ‘live or die’ mindset of a man with a low paying job during such a time. Steinbeck himself was born in Salinas, California which is in a similar area to where the setting of the story takes place and also worked as a
Click here to unlock this and over one million essaysGet Access
Secondly, Of Mice and Men illustrates the honesty of living conditions within the American cultural society of his day. The honesty quality seen in Of Mice and Men goes back to Steinbeck himself. Three of Steinbeck’s novels were set in the Salina Valley. Steinbeck’s birthplace, and hometown, Salina Valley, California, is where this story is also set. He wrote this novel to express his personal perspective of life as he knew it in his era. As a very young man, he was a very hard worker and held a variety of jobs that led to his writing career (“John” 5).
Award winning novel, Of Mice and Men was published in 1937 by author John Steinbeck. Set in Salinas Valley, the novel follows migrants George Milton and Lennie Small on their journey for work during Great Depression. Embodying an array of themes such as loneliness and responsibility, the dominant key themes throughout the novel is powerlessness. Shown through the economy, gender discrimination and mental disabilities, the theme of powerlessness relates to all of the characters in different ways.
Of mice and men is this tale of 2 people with a dream. They got wants and needs and everything inbetween. But at the end of the day it's back to basics at “ because I got you to look after me, and you got me to look after you, and that's why." i chose that quote and that quote exactly because it doesn't just relate to them but it can relate to anyone. You might rely on a mom or dad , sister/brother. Whoever it may be you two no you have eachothers back. To get back to the point though this story has adventure , suspense , violence along with so many other exciting parts that will make you never want to put the book down. When i walked into the classroom and saw the board “of mice and men chapter 1” there's nothing more i wanted to do them go home but by the last line
Of Mice and Men, a novella written by John Steinbeck, is the story of two migrant workers, George Milton and Lennie Small, who dream of owning their own farm. The two men secure jobs at a ranch and soon meet a swamper named Candy and Curley’s wife. Like George and Lennie, these characters also dream of having a better life than what they can accomplish while
The novella Of mice and men takes place in salinas valley, California during the Great Depression . At this time work was scarce which caused many men to work as farm hands. Steinbeck illustrates these migrant workers well using two male characters, George and Lennie. Who begin work at a farm, where they meet who also are isolated. Although George, Crooks, and Curley’s wife are all isolated, the each try to make a connection with others: however, tragically in the end their attempts are meaningless.
Of Mice And Men is a novella written by John Steinbeck and first published in 1937. It tells the story of George Milton and Lennie Small, two displaced migrant ranch workers, who move from place to place in California in search of job opportunities during the Great Depression. The novella ends tragically with George taking Lennie’s life after he accidentally kills a woman. I believe that the ending is inevitable because society at the time it is set is cruel, Characterisation and the foreshadowing in the plot.
The daily struggle of the working class, fear of loneliness and the reality of putting all your energy into plans that fail are the different themes relating to John Steinbeck 's novel, "Of Mice and Men". The characters depicted by the author are individuals who are constantly facing one obstacle after another. The book illustrates different conflicts such as man versus society, man versus man, man versus himself and idealism versus reality. The book 's backdrop is set in the Salinas, California during the depression. The two main characters include two men, George and Lennie. Supportive characters include a few ranch hands, Candy, Crooks, Curly, Slim and Carlson.
The title "Of Mice and Men" represents that mice and men share the same fate which is that they are always at the bottom of life and always being pulled down by the weight
Of Mice and Men is a novel written by John Steinbeck. The story takes place in California during the Great Depression. It depicts a tale of two men, Lennie Smalls & George Milton, and their journey as migrant ranchers. The overall tone of the book is hopelessness which is shown through various characters. Crooks is the African American stable hand, who gains his name from his crooked back.
Of Mice and Men is a novel set on a ranch in the Salinas Valley in California during the Great Depression of the 1930s. The title of the book is a reference to Robert Burns's poem To a Mouse. (1759 - 96):
The novel Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck takes place in a remote Californian town, focusing in on the lives of two lonely migrant laborers from Weeds. This novel introduces a variety of characters all facing generally the same issue; isolation. In Of Mice and Men, Steinbeck illustrates to his readers that when people are lonely, it can affect their way of life and lead to desperate actions.
1. Steinbeck’s life experiences influenced him when writing Of Mice and Men. For instance, Steinbeck was born in Salinas, California, which is about thirty minutes away from where the novel takes place in Soledad, California. The novel took place during the Great Depression being that Steinbeck was in his thirties at the time of the Depression. "I was a bindlestiff myself for quite a spell. I worked in the same country that the story is laid in. The characters are composites to a certain extent. Lennie was a real person. He's in an insane asylum in California right now. I worked alongside him for many weeks. He didn't kill a girl. He killed a ranch foreman. Got sore because the boss had fired his pal and stuck a pitchfork right through his stomach. I hate to tell you how many times. I saw him do it. We couldn't stop him until it was too late,” said John Steinbeck.
Of Mice And Men' by John Steinbeck is a classic novel, tragedy, written in a social tone. The authorial attitude is idyllic, however, as the story develops it changes into skeptic. It is evident that Steinbeck knew the setting and places he is writing about.
Setting is very important aspect in any piece of literature. Including the novella Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. The novella is placed in a small farm in Salinas Valley, California. Where multiple men will work there as migrant workers together. In this novella, Steinbeck’s emphasis on setting creates irony and also conveys his non-teleological point of view.
Of mice and men is a Novella written by an author named John Steinbeck in 1937. The book is about two men who have had a hard life but start working towards the American dream. And their opinion, American dream is having a nice farm some animals a dog and family. This includes being free from harm in order the to live a relaxed safe and peaceful lifestyle. Although they try very hard to achieve this, george and lennie failed to achieve the American Dream do to the harsh conditions of society.