Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease. It’s very common In the United States. It’s also very common amongst the Caucasian population. Its effects 1 in every 3,000 new born babies. Cystic fibrosis is less common in other ethnic groups. Effecting 1 in every 17,000 African Americans and 1 in every 30,000 Asian Americans. It causes the body to make a very thick type of mucus. The mucus is caused by an unbalance in salt in a person’s body. Leaving few to no salt and water on the outside of cells. When this happens the thin mucus that keeps the lungs free of germs becomes sticky. Cystic fibrosis effects the liver, lungs, pancreas, and the intestines. This disease makes it hard to breath and causes serious lung infections. The mucus affects the digestion by blocking the pancreas
Cystic fibrosis is an existence restricting autosomal recessive disorder that influences 70,000 people around the world. The condition is known to affect principally those of European descent, though cystic fibrosis has been accounted for in all races and ethnicities.  Unusually viscous emissions in the airway of the lungs and in ducts of the pancreas in people with cystic fibrosis cause hindrances that prompt aggravation, tissue harm and destruction of both organ systems. Studies show that Cystic Fibrosis is more prominent in White Americans than African Americans, and Hispanics. A large number of Americans are carriers of this mutated Cystic Fibrosis gene, however if an individual is affected they must acquire two of these genes keeping
Cystic Fibrosis is a life threatening condition that causes severe damage to the lungs and digestive system. Developing this condition can change a person's entire life. Depending on the severity of the condition a person can be affected by mild symptoms such as shortness of breath, all the way to severe symptoms such as rectal prolapse, or even death. Screening is done on infants in all 50 states; therefore if a child has inherited Cystic Fibrosis it will be known in the first months of life. As professional staff members of a nursing community it will be necessary to help prepare the child and the family for the life of Cystic Fibrosis.
What is Cystic Fibrosis? How does it affect people living with it? Cystic Fibrosis, also known as CF, is a life-threatening hereditary disease. It is inherited by a faulty cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductor (CFTR) gene from each parent (Kowalczyk, 2014, p. 74). This faulty gene makes a defective protein that does not work well and causes the body to produce sticky, thick mucus and very salty sweat("About CF: Causes, Signs & Symptoms of Cystic Fibrosis,"
Cystic fibrosis is a hereditary disease of the secretory glands that produce mucus and sweat. This is caused by mutations on chromosome 7 and can affects the lungs, pancreas, liver, intestines, sinus and sex organs of the patients.
Many years ago people were diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis but there was no cure. Children were dying from this disease at very young ages. The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation was then formed in 1955 by mothers who were determined to find a cure for their dying children. There is still no cure but there are treatments that help with the infections that grow in the lungs of people with CF. There are people still researching for a way to cure Cystic Fibrosis, but what is the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation all about?
Cystic fibrosis is the most common lethal inherited disease, affecting about 30,000 patients worldwide. In the past decade, strides in patient management and the development of new pharmacological agents, coupled with scientific and technological advances, have increased the mean life expectancy of CF patients to approximately 30 years of age (approximately 50% of CF patients live to the age of 30). As early as 30 years ago, the median survival age was 8 years. Chronic lung infections, which lead to declines in lung function, remain the major cause of morbidity and mortality. While several pathogens have been implicated, Pseudomonas aeruginosa—an opportunistic and virulent bacterium—has an affinity for the
Cystic fibrosis is life threatening, progressive and genetic disorders that cause severe damage to the lungs and digestive systems. About 30,000 children’s and adults in the United States are affected by this chronic disease. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited condition which affects the body’s exocrine glands (mucus secretion glands). The secreted fluids such as mucus, sweat and digestive juices are normally thin and slippery. The secretions become thick and sticky in those people who are affected by cystic fibrosis. So the secretions plug up tubes, ducts, and passageways instead of acting as a lubricant. Therefore it is a life threatening disease since the secretions block the passageways especially in the lungs and pancreas. People with this disease are able to attend school and work but they require daily care. The treatments for this disease are getting better but there is no cure for this disease. The life spans of patients are 20s and 30s and some patients live up to their 40s and 50s. There is 25 percent chance of developing cystic fibrosis; if both the parents carry recessive gene but they do not have the disease. A 50 percent chance is there that the child will carry the gene but do not have the disease. And there is 25 percent chance that the child can be totally unaffected for the children of the couple who carry recessive gene.
The Cause of Cystic Fibrosis and the Effects It has on The Child and Parents
Like the world around us the medical field is always changing. It is always pushing forward, trying to understand mysteries of the human body that have boggled researchers for decades. What confuses scientists more, are the organisms or conditions that create these abnormalities that can send the human body into a downward spiral. Disease is something that has affected human civilization since the dawn of time. It can either be chronic or acute, but in either case it has the potential to bring havoc to the human body systems that can lead to devastating consequences. Generally there are two main types of diseases, ones caused by invading pathogens and those which are hereditary. One hereditary disease that can be particularly tragic is
Five year old Ellis Miles undergoes numerous treatments each day to counteract the symptoms that accompany cystic fibrosis including physiotherapy, pills containing digestive enzymes, and a treatment which breaks up the mucus in her lungs. Cystic Fibrosis has numerous life threatening symptoms and while there is no cure, there are several treatments that a typical patient undergoes each day to combat these symptoms. The most prominent symptom associated with Cystic Fibrosis is a thick mucus that clogs up tubes that carry out crucial roles in the human body. This mucus especially affects the respiratory tract. Mucus builds up in the respiratory tract making it difficult for individuals with cystic fibrosis to have a frequent cough that produces a thick
Cystic fibrosis (CF) is the most common lethal autosomal recessive disease affecting Canadians (2). CF can affect multiple organs; however, the most fatal symptoms occur in the lung. As of 2013, the median age of survival for CF is roughly 50 years old with treatment (3). However, patient life-span decreases dramatically when treatment options such as antibiotics and enzymes are not administered, and nutritional changes or lung transplants are not made (3). Currently, there is no cure for CF, although current treatments can improve patient outcome.
In light of question number three A-B, Cystic fibrosis causes variations from the norm in almost all exocrine and numerous endocrine organs. This disturbance of organs extremely thwarts the elements of the Pancreas during absorption bringing about “…an abnormal mucous secretion that causes obstruction of single mucin-producing cells. The pancreas secretes less enzyme (ex: trypsin, lipase and amylase), so malabsorption ensues with its attendant deficiency disorders” (Walsh et al.)
Cystic fibrosis is a life-threatening genetic disease that primarily affects the lungs and digestive system. People who have Cystic Fibrosis have a defective gene that causes the body to produce thick, sticky mucus that clogs the lungs and eventually leads to life-threatening lung infections. It also obstructs the pancreas and stops natural enzymes from helping the body break down food and absorb nutrients. This genetic disease has affected over 70,000 people worldwide including 30,000 in the United States.