Airborne Express: Analysis of HBS Case Study Q1) 1. Threat of New Entry For the US Express Mail industry, the overall threat of new entry is very low. The following list and explanation captures the difficulty an entrepreneur might face in trying to penetrate the express mail market: * High capital requirements: In order to establish an express mail operation, the start-up capital required is too big for an individual to obtain. For example, Federal Express’ Superhub in Memphis has
business model works through four divisions of business namely the global mail, Express division, global forwarding and supply chain division. The mail division delivers domestic and international mail and parcels with nationwide press distribution services and electronics services associated with mail delivery. DHL is the only provider of the universal postal services in Germany. Express division offers couriers and express services to business customers and consumers in more than 220 countries.
1.How and why has the express mail industry structure evolved in recent years? How have the changes affected small competitors? The US express mail industry is highly consolidated. 85% of the market is served by 3 service providers. There are six second tier players who serve the remaining 15%. FedEx and UPS lead the industry in services and innovation. The following trends have been observed in this Industry. Services: A host of services are provided to suit the needs to different businesses.
Executive summary Airborne Express is the third largest and fastest growing international air express delivery company in America. It held roughly 16% of the domestic express mail market by 1997. It provides time-sensitive delivery of documents, letters, small packages, and freight in the United States and internationally. The company has several advantages over its rivals, such as it provides delivery services at a lower cost of up to 20% over FedEx and UPS; it operates the nation’s only privately
Postal Service Roberto W Zayas University of Phoenix Table of Contents Executive Summary | 2 | Company Background | 4 | Vision, Mission, and Values Statement | 5 | Environmental Analysis | 6 | Non-Economic Factors in Remote Environment | 8 | Competitive Analysis | 10 | Strategic Analysis and Choice | 12 | Plan Goals and Implementation | 14 | Critical Success Factors | 16 | Controls and Evaluations | 16 | Conclusion | 17 | References | 19 | Executive Summary The United
is the industry attractiveness like in 1997? Has it changed in recent years? Q2) Does Airborne Express have a competitive advantage? Is it sustainable? Q3) What recommendations will you give Airborne Express? ---------------ESSAY START ------------------ Industry Attractiveness in 1997 The industry is defined as the Domestic US Express Mail industry. This includes overnight and second day delivery. In order to assess the attractiveness of the industry, a Porters' Five Forces analysis has been
(USPS) (Annual Report, 2009) today, is a dominate player in the mail delivery arena and has been existence since 1776. The Post Office was originally a governmental agency, but due to mismanagement by Congress, was reorganized in 1971 and no longer a part of the presidential cabinet; but became an independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government. To date, the USPS maintains a monopoly on the day-to-day delivery of mail but competitors do share the market on some of the other types
Airborne Express and Husky Injection Molding Systems Airborne Express 1. Perform a five-forces analysis of Airborne Express’ industry. Forces | Items | Power | Rivalry | * Big competitors are FedEx and UPS; * Smaller competitors like BAX Global, DHL, Worldwide Express, Emery Worldwide, RPS, TNT Express, Worldwide, and US Post Service | Keen competition with big competitors as they account for the lion’s share of the market | Entry barriers | * Economy of scale * CAPEX on IT, facilities
Current Situation The overall performance of United Parcel Service (UPS) during the past year was good. The company 's ROI for the last five year is 14.27 while the industry average is only 12.70. UPS is the market share leader in the express delivery market with a 53% share of the market, and 50% in the ground shipping industry (Lazich, 2007). Based on its Net Profit Margin, Return on Assets, and Earnings per Share the company 's profitability is strong. Overall, UPS performed well in 2006
the international express and logistics industry, we will study how DHL has gained and achieved in sustaining its position in the logistics sector. To do so, the report will be cut in two parts. Firstly, an introduction will present, explain the subject and then expose