Water Scarcity in the USA Essay

976 Words4 Pages
Over the past fifty years, the U.S. population has doubled in size. During this time, total water usage per person has almost tripled. Since the end of World War II, there has been a steady increase of people moving out of rural areas and into cities. As a result, the domestic self-supplied population has greatly decreased and the need for public-water supply systems has intensified. These factors, in conjunction with certain economic trends, precipitation, and global climate changes, pose difficult challenges in the years to come. The World Health Organization defines domestic water as being “water used for all usual domestic purposes including consumption, bathing and food preparation” (World Health Organization, 2003). Ample supplies…show more content…
Certain diseases attributed to these illnesses are hepatitis, diarrhea, and malaria. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers estimates that from 1970 to 1990, more than 19 million acres of rural land have become urban (New Water Supply Coalition, 2012). Since 1960, metro areas have grown substantially. As a result, about 86 percent of Americans obtain domestic water through a public-supply system. The largest domestic deliveries from public supply are not surprisingly, the states with largest populations: California, Texas, New York, Florida, and Illinios (USGS, 2012).The remaining 14 percent of American inhabitants obtain domestic water through self-supplied withdrawals. Self-supplied water is pre-dominantly from fresh groundwater. Though the Environmental Protection Agency oversees certain regulations such as The Clean Water Act to ensure quality standards, the growing demand for public domestic water generates impediments. Urbanization is essentially creating a conundrum for many U.S. states as the capacity for storing freshwater is increasingly becoming limited. The Natural Resources Defense Council recently reported that “as the impervious surfaces that characterize sprawling development-roads, parking lots, driveways, and roofs-replace meadows and forests, rain no longer can seep into the land and
Get Access