Causes And Effects Of Overpopulation

1073 Words5 Pages
What are the effects of overpopulation?
Overpopulation is an undesirable condition where the number of existing people on earth exceeds the carrying capacity of the earth. However, overpopulation has not always been a problem. At the dawn of agriculture, 8000 B.C., the population was approximately 5 million. 8000 years later, 1 A.D., the number of people existing on earth was between 200-300 million. That’s a growth rate under 0,05% per year. A tremendous change occurred with the industrial revolution. It took over 10.000 years to exceed one billion people living on earth, however we reached the next billion in only 130 years, the third billion in 30 years, the forth in 15 years and the fifth in 13 years. During the 20th century alone, the
…show more content…
Now that we know some of the main causes to overpopulation we can talk about the effects.
There are several effects and consequences of human overpopulation. Loss of fresh water, increased global warming and climate change, species extinction, lower life expectancy and depletion of Natural Resources are some of the countless effects. In short term, the loss of fresh water is the most severe of all the consequences. Water is the foundation of all animal and plant life on earth, we can’t live without it. The earth is often called the blue planet because 70% of it is covered in water, so you would not think access to water would be a problem, however only 2,5% of all the water on earth is fresh water. 70% of the fresh water is stored in glaciers and icecaps. The other 30% is divided in to rivers, groundwater and lakes. Most of the fresh water are either polluted or unreachable, that leaves about 0,003% of the water drinkable. It is estimated that by 2025 more than 50% of the world’s population will be facing water based vulnerability. Furthermore, a report from 2009 by the 2030 Water Resources Group suggest that by 2030 the demand for water will exceed supply by 50% in many developing countries. “As human populations grow, so will the problem of clean fresh water availability. We never know the worth of water till the well is dry.” ~Thomas Fuller. Another serious effect of human overpopulation is global warming. According to the Center for Biological
Get Access