Hiv Is A Member Of The Retroviridae ( Retrovirus ) Family

975 WordsApr 17, 20174 Pages
HIV is a member of the Retroviridae (retrovirus) family, its genus: Lentivirus. HIV is an icosahedral, enveloped virus, its size ranging from approximately 100 to 110 nm in diameter. HIV contains a single stranded, linear, positive sense RNA genome. There are two recognized strains: HIV-1 and HIV-2. Retroviral RNA is converted to DNA by a virally encoded reverse transcriptase enzyme, the DNA transcript is integrated into the host’s chromosomal DNA upon entry of the host cell. Human immunodeficiency virus also known as HIV can infect many cell types such as lymphocytes, macrophages, microglia in the brain and other neurological cells. This later results in asthenia, dementia and damage to the peripheral nervous system. The HIV…show more content…
Anal intercourse in homosexual males as well as intercourse between couples composed of a male and female, are the most common ways to contract the HIV virus. Babies are commonly infected invitro, from an infected mother. Help remains for those infected by the deadly pathogen that is called HIV, but there is still no cure. Many people in the medical field believe that only 54% those infected, are aware that they are infected, that leaves 46% in the dark. It is estimated that 1.6 million people died as a result of this virus in 2012. The scariest part about HIV and how it is spread is the knowledge that not everyone has been tested yet. HIV can only be diagnosed with certain tests. These experiments in particular, determine whether an individuals’ immune system has produced an HIV specific immune response. The Indirect binding assay and antibody capture assay, as well as the double antigen sandwich, ELISA, immunofluorescence, Western blotting, line immune assays, PCR and viral isolation tests all can determine the presence of HIV. Fatigue is the number one symptom of HIV. The symptoms of acute infection are commonly “flu-like” such as diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, headache, infections, pneumonia, hepatosplenomegaly, weight loss, and neurological symptoms. Attacking the immune system is the method that this virus uses to kill. Attempting to hinder, block or just slow down this process is currently the only method of defense

More about Hiv Is A Member Of The Retroviridae ( Retrovirus ) Family

Open Document