Overproduction of uric acid in the body can be an indication of cell breakdown. This may be an advance indication of illness such as gout, leukemia, or lymphoma.† Over a period of months, an adult male patient has taken fourteen blood tests for uric acid. The mean concentration was x = 5.35 mg/dl. The distribution of uric acid in healthy adult males can be assumed to be normal, with σ = 1.91 mg/dl.(a) Find a 95% confidence interval for the population mean concentration of uric acid in this patient's blood. What is the margin of error? (Round your answers to two decimal places.) lower limit     upper limit     margin of error     (b) What conditions are necessary for your calculations? (Select all that apply.)normal distribution of uric acidn is largeσ is unknownnσ is knownuniform distribution of uric acid(c) Interpret your results in the context of this problem.The probability that this interval contains the true average uric acid level for this patient is 0.95.There is not enough information to make an interpretation.    The probability that this interval contains the true average uric acid level for this patient is 0.05.There is a 5% chance that the confidence interval is one of the intervals containing the population average uric acid level for this patient.There is a 95% chance that the confidence interval is one of the intervals containing the population average uric acid level for this patient.(d) Find the sample size necessary for a 95% confidence level with maximal margin of error E = 1.16 for the mean concentration of uric acid in this patient's blood. (Round your answer up to the nearest whole number.)   blood tests

Question
Asked Jul 3, 2019
2696 views

Overproduction of uric acid in the body can be an indication of cell breakdown. This may be an advance indication of illness such as gout, leukemia, or lymphoma.† Over a period of months, an adult male patient has taken fourteen blood tests for uric acid. The mean concentration was x = 5.35 mg/dl. The distribution of uric acid in healthy adult males can be assumed to be normal, with σ = 1.91 mg/dl.

(a) Find a 95% confidence interval for the population mean concentration of uric acid in this patient's blood. What is the margin of error? (Round your answers to two decimal places.) 
lower limit      
upper limit      
margin of error      

(b) What conditions are necessary for your calculations? (Select all that apply.)
normal distribution of uric acid
n is large
σ is unknown
nσ is knownu
niform distribution of uric acid


(c) Interpret your results in the context of this problem.
The probability that this interval contains the true average uric acid level for this patient is 0.95.
There is not enough information to make an interpretation.  
  The probability that this interval contains the true average uric acid level for this patient is 0.05.
There is a 5% chance that the confidence interval is one of the intervals containing the population average uric acid level for this patient.
There is a 95% chance that the confidence interval is one of the intervals containing the population average uric acid level for this patient.

(d) Find the sample size necessary for a 95% confidence level with maximal margin of error E = 1.16 for the mean concentration of uric acid in this patient's blood. (Round your answer up to the nearest whole number.) 
 
 blood tests
 
check_circle

Expert Answer

Step 1

The provided information are:

help_outline

Image Transcriptionclose

Sample size(n)14 Sample mean ()=5.35mg / dl Population standard deviation = 1.91mg/dl The z-critical value at 95% confidence level is = -10.95 = 0.025 1.96

fullscreen
Step 2

(a) The required 95% confidence interval is,

 

help_outline

Image Transcriptionclose

tmargin of eiror 1.91 5.35 1.96x VI4 5.35t1.00 (4.35,6.35) Therefore, Lower limit 4.35 Upper limit 6.35 Margin of error 1.00 바두

fullscreen
Step 3

(b) The required con...

help_outline

Image Transcriptionclose

Normal distribution of uric acid a is known

fullscreen

Want to see the full answer?

See Solution

Check out a sample Q&A here.

Want to see this answer and more?

Solutions are written by subject experts who are available 24/7. Questions are typically answered within 1 hour.*

See Solution
*Response times may vary by subject and question.
Tagged in

Math

Statistics

Hypothesis Testing

Related Statistics Q&A

Find answers to questions asked by student like you
Show more Q&A
add
question_answer

Q: Bill Alther is a zoologist who studies Anna's hummingbird (Calypte anna).† Suppose that in a remote ...

A: (a) Level of significance for the test:Level of significance (α) defines the probability of rejectin...

question_answer

Q: Midterm exam scores are normally distributed with a mean of 75 and a standard deviation of 6. If the...

A: According to the question , Midterm exam scores are normally distributed with a mean of 75 and a sta...

question_answer

Q: 10 9 8 6 Frequency 5 4 3 2 1 0 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 The table above lis...

A: Frequency table:Frequency table represents the number of times each class repeats.The frequency of e...

question_answer

Q: In general, we want to see if elderly primes will lead people to feel elderly feelings and see an ol...

A: The independent variable is that which is changed by the experimenter to test the outcome of the dep...

question_answer

Q: In a study of minimizing tractor skidding distances along a new road in a European forest, the skidd...

A: Here, the sample size (n) is 20.The mean and standard deviation of the sample data is calculated bel...

question_answer

Q: A real estate agent believes that the value of houses in the neighborhood she works in has increased...

A: It is given that the alterative hypothesis is as follows: Ha : µd > 0, the t test statistic is 7....

question_answer

Q: A population has a mean of 15 and standard deviation of 3. Round the answers to two decimal places a...

A: Let X be the observation. X follows normal distribution with mean μ = 15 and the standard deviation ...

question_answer

Q: Part a, b, and c

A: Null and alternative hypothesis:Null Hypothesis:A null hypothesis is a statement regarding the popul...

question_answer

Q: In baseball, is there a linear correlation between batting average and home run percentage? Let x re...

A: In this question we have the given data and using which we have to plot the scatter plot, and best l...